WATERVILLE, Maine. - The Wesleyan University baseball team swept Colby College in doubleheader action on Saturday afternoon at Coombs Field thanks in large part to excellent pitching by Peter Rantz '16 and Nick Miceli '17.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- After giving up a lead-off single to Ryan Quinn, Rantz was able to pick him off first base and Quinn would be out in the ensuing run-down.
- The Mules would get their only run of the afternoon in the top of the second as Quinn would single home Andy Currier to give Colby the 1-0 lead. The Cardinals would throw out Andrew Della-Volpe at home to limit the Mules' scoring to just the one run.
- Jordan Farber '16 would get Wesleyan going in the top of the fifth as he worked a walk and then stole second to put himself in scoring position. Marco Baratta '16 would then single Farber home to tie the game at one.
- The Cardinals were able to take advantage of Colby miscues in the top of the seventh to take the lead. Andrew Keith '19 reached on a throwing error by the Mules' shortstop, and after a Farber single, Keith came home with the eventual winning run on a Matt Jeye '18 single. Baratta would then reach on a fielder's choice and Farber was able to score an insurance run on the play on a throwing error by the catcher to give Wesleyan a 3-1 lead.
- Rantz started the seventh for the Cardinals, but after allowing a walk he was relieved by Miceli who was able to shut the door on the Mules, and give Wesleyan the 3-1 win.
- Rantz earned the win for the Cardinals going six innings while allowing one run with five strikeouts and two walks. Miceli earned the save as he allowed just one hit in his one inning of relief.
- For Colby, their starter Soren Hanson suffered the loss going 6.1 innings allowing three runs (one earned) on seven hits while walking five and striking out six.
- Quinn went a perfect 3-3 at the plate for the Mules with an RBI.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- It was all Cardinals in the second game as their bats were able to put up 21 runs on 24 hits in the game. It was highlighted by the third inning where Wesleyan was able to score 11 runs on nine hits. The Cardinals would have a commanding 14-0 lead after three innings.
- Colby scored their run in the fourth as Blake Egan singled home Currier.
- The Cardinals would add three more runs in the eights and four in the ninth to give them the 21-1 victory.
- Miceli went five for the Cardinals allowing five hits and one run.
- Keith had five RBIs for Wesleyan while Guy Davidson '16 added four of his own.
- Davidson, Ellis Schaefer '17 and Will O'Sullivan '17 each contributed three hits on the afternoon.
- For Colby, Egan went 2-3 with an RBI and Tommy Forese came in the game to pitch 3.2 innings of shutout ball, allowing just three hits and striking out three.
- The Cardinals will return to the diamond on Wednesday, April 6th as they will travel to Danbury, Conn. to take on Western Connecticut State University. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
- The Mules will host Trinity College in a NESCAC matchup on Friday, April 8th at 3 p.m.