Posted: Apr 20, 2016
WEST HAVEN, Conn.- The Wesleyan University baseball team took on Division 1 Yale University on Wednesday afternoon at Yale Field, and were defeated by the Bulldogs, 15-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Yale opened up to an early 7-0 lead in the first, highlighted by a bases-clearing double by Tom O'Neill.
- After scoring one run in the fourth, the Bulldogs put together a four-run inning in the fifth to give them a 12-0 advantage. Richard Slenker had the big hit of the inning, as his single to center plated two Yale runners.
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Bulldogs extended their lead to 14-0 thanks to a 2-run homerun by Harrison White.
- The Cardinals got on the board in the seventh as Eric Jones '16 was able to score on a passed ball, and Will O'Sullivan '17 scored on a Nick Miceli '17 RBI groundout. Wesleyan would trail 14-2 after seven innings.
- The Bulldogs put up another run in the eight to give them a 15-2 advantage.
- The Cardinals loaded the bases in the top of the ninth, but were unable to plate anymore runs, as Yale would go onto win, 15-2.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Stephen Howard '18 pitched 2.1 innings in relief for Wesleyan, allowing just two hits and surrendering no runs. He struck out two and walked two.
- Matt Jeye '18 led the Cardinals with three hits, going 3-5 in the game.
- Nate Adams, White, Tim DeGraw and O'Neill each registered a multi-hit game for Yale. White knocked in two runs, while O'Neill knocked in a game high four.
- Benny Wanger started for the Bulldogs and went 4.0 innings, allowing three hits while striking out six. Tyler Duncan got the win in relief, going two innings, allowing one hit, one walk and striking out one.
- The Cardinals will return to action on Friday, April 22 as they will take on NESCAC foe Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
- The Bulldogs are back on the diamond on Saturday, April 23 as they will take on Ivy League rival Dartmouth in a doubleheader. Game one is slated to begin at 12 p.m.