May 14, 2016
NASHUA, N.H.- Playing their second game on the day, the Wesleyan University baseball team fell to Tufts University by a score of 6-1. The Cardinals will look to stave off elimination against Trinity, as they look to defend their NESCAC crown.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Jumbos put up a run in the top of the first as Stephan White was able to cross the plate on an error, giving Tufts the early 1-0 lead.
- The Cardinals would load the bases in the bottom of the second, but Jumbos starting pitcher, Tim Superko, would get Andrew Keith '19 to ground out to second, and preserve the Jumbos' 1-0 lead.
- Wesleyan would once again load the bases in the bottom of the third, and once again would be held scoreless as Tufts pitcher Joe Thomas would get out of the jam getting Nick Miceli '17 to fly out to end the inning.
- Neither team would score until the top of the seventh, when Harry Brown laced an RBI double with two outs to give Tufts a 2-0 lead.
- Jordan Farber '16 led off the bottom of the seventh reaching second base on an error by the leftfielder. Matt Jeye '18 would lace a single to center to put runners on the corners with no outs for Marco Baratta '16, who would hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Farber, and bring the Cardinals to within one at 2-1. Miceli would single to right-center, but Jeye would be thrown out at home to end the inning, keeping the Jumbos on top by one.
- Tufts added an insurance run in the eighth, as Oscar Kutch singled home Matt Moser to give them the 3-1 lead. Kutch would then score on an error to increase the Jumbos lead to 4-1.
- Eric Jones '16 would single and Keith would walk to put two runners on with one out in the bottom of the eighth, but Guy Davidson '16 would line into a double play to end the inning.
- In the ninth, the Jumbos would load the bases with one out against Wesleyan pitcher, Ryan Earle '19. Dan Kelly would single home a run to put Tufts up by four. A walk to Nick Falkson would force in another run, and end the day for Earle, who would be replaced by Stephen Howard '18. Howard would get Tom Petry to foul out to first to end the inning.
- The Cardinals came to bat trailing 6-1 in the bottom of the ninth. Farber reached for the second straight time on an error by the leftfielder. With Farber on first, Jeye would line into a double play, as the first baseman snagged the line drive and placed the tag on Farber. Baratta grounded out to end the game as Tufts would claim the 6-1 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Peter Rantz '16 suffered his fourth loss on the year, as he went 7 innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits. He walked three and struck out three.
- Keith and Will O'Sullivan '17 each notched two hits on the day for the Cardinals.
- Thomas earned his fourth win for the Jumbos, going 5 innings, allowing one run (none earned) on five hits.
- Harry Brown and Kutch each registered three hits a piece in the game.
- Wesleyan will face Trinity for the second time today in an elimination game. First pitch will be approximately 8 p.m.
- Tufts will await the winner of that game tomorrow, as they will faceoff for the NESCAC title. That game is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.