Score: Wesleyan 11, Marian (Wisc.) 1
Records: Wesleyan (4-0); Marian (Wisc.) (3-3)
Location: Tucson, Ariz. (Kino Sports Complex)
Date: Tuesday, March 14th
Time: 4:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team extended its winning streak to four games as it defeated Marian (Wisc.) by a score of 11-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- It was a pitchers duel for the first four innings as neither team could get a run across the plate.
- The Cardinals broke the scoreless tie in the fifth inning as Matt Jeye '18 tripled in Will O'Sullivan '17 and Nick Miceli '17 to give Wesleyan the 2-0 lead.
- AJ Ferrara '18, Andrew Keith '19 and O'Sullivan would knock in runs in the sixth to give the Cardinals a five run advantage.
- In the bottom of the eight, Wesleyan would put the game out of reach as it scored six runs in the frame. Ellis Schaefer '17 had the big hit with a two-run double.
- The Sabres would get a run in the top of the ninth, but that's all it could muster against the Cardinals, who would claim the 11-1 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Ethan Rode '17 was spectacular on the mound, pitching 8.1 innings allowing just six hits while striking out eight. Pat Clare '19 finished the game off for Wesleyan.
- Schaefer led the team with three hits on the afternoon.
- O'Sullivan, Jeye and Schaefer each knocked in two runs in the contest.
- Cole Miklavcic and Jordan Bill got two hits a piece to lead Marian.
- The Cardinals are off tomorrow and will return to the field on Thursday, March 16th to take on Kalamazoo. First pitch is scheduled for 8 p.m.