Score: Pomona-Pitzer 4, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (5-1); Pomona-Pitzer (8-11)
Location: Claremont, Calif.
Date: Saturday, March 18th
Time: 4 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team saw its five game winning streak come to an end as it fell to Pomona-Pitzer 4-3 in the California Classic Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals got off to a hot start, scoring two runs in the top of the first. Matt Jeye '18 singled home Nick Miceli '17 while AJ Ferrara '18 singled home Will O'Sullivan '17.
- Tanner Nishioka would bring the Sagehens to within one run in the second with a sacrifice fly.
- In the top of the fifth, Miceli would homer to center to put Wesleyan up 3-1.
- Pomona-Pitzer would tie the game at three in the sixth on RBIs from Bryce Rogan and Cade Hulse.
- Nishioka would give the Sagehens the 4-3 lead with an RBI single to left center in the seventh.
- Casey Hershfield would come on in the ninth and save the 4-3 win for Pomona-Pitzer.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Miceli went 5.1 innings on the mound with four strikeouts, and went 2-4 with an RBI at the plate. His two hits now give him an even 100 for his career.
- Nishioka led all batters with three hits and two RBIs.
- David Gerics earned the win for the Sagehens, going eight innings with six strikeouts.
- The Cardinals will return to the diamond tomorrow, Sunday, March 19th as they will play Pomona-Pitzer at 2 p.m. and Claremont-M-S at 6 p.m.