Score: Wesleyan 6, Redlands 3
Records: Wesleyan (6-3); Redlands (14-10)
Location: Claremont, Calif.
Date: Tuesday, March 21st
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: Ethan Rode '17 pitched 8.1 innings as the Wesleyan University baseball team defeated the University of Redlands 6-3 on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals scored twice in the second to take a 2-0 lead. Andrew Keith '19 reached in a fielder's choice to score a run while Will O'Sullivan '17 would double home Ellis Schaefer '17.
- In the third, Joey Warner doubled to score Jordan Babbitt and bring the Bulldogs to within a run at 2-1.
- A Ryan Earle '19 triple scored Keith and gave Wesleyan a 3-1 lead in the fifth. Earle would later score on a wild pitch and Danny Rose '19 would single home Nick Miceli '17 to give the Cardinals a 5-1 advantage.
- In the bottom of inning, the Redlands would chip into the lead as Christopher Scalisi singled home a run to bring them within three.
- A Miceli homer gave Wesleyan a 6-2 advantage in the seventh.
- The Bulldogs would make the score 6-3 in the bottom of the inning on a fielder's choice.
- Earle would come in to retire the final two batters in the bottom of the ninth to seal the 6-3 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Rode earned his second win on the year with his performance, which saw him give up three runs (two earned) on nine hits. He also struck out five while walking only two.
- Earle, Rose and Alec Olmstead '20 each registered two hits a piece for the Cardinals.
- Will Hall led the Redlands, going 3-4 with two runs scored.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Thursday, March 23rd to take on Whittier at 6 p.m.