Game 1 Score: Wesleyan 4, Hamilton 0
Game 2 Score: Wesleyan 5, Hamilton 4 (11 inn.)
Records: Wesleyan (11-3, 2-0 NESCAC), Hamilton (6-8, 0-2 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Dresser Diamond)
Date: Sunday, April 2
Time: 12 p.m./2:50 p.m.
The Lead: After a 4-0 shutout win over Hamilton College in game one of its double-header Sunday, Ryan Earle '19 of the Wesleyan University baseball team hit a walk-off RBI single to centerfield in the 11th inning of game two as the Cardinals won, 5-4 to complete the sweep in their NESCAC and home-opener.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Matt Jeye '18 drove in the game-winning run with a RBI single up the middle in the bottom of third, bringing in Will O'Sullivan '17.
- Wesleyan added some insurance in the bottom of the sixth. With the bases loaded, O'Sullivan hit a double down the left field line to bring home all runners.
- Mike McCaffrey '19 pitched a gem on the mound as he went six scoreless innings, surrendering just three hits and striking out seven. Earle retired the side in the top of the seventh to seal the win.
- Seven different Cardinals recorded a hit, while O'Sullivan and Alec Olmstead '20 each hit a double.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan got on the board first in the bottom of the fourth as Jeye drove in Earle with a ground-out to the shortstop.
- Hamilton responded, however, with a three-run top of the fifth. With the bases loaded, Chris Collins doubled to right field to bring home Robert Morris and Andrew Haser. With two on, Ryan Wolfsberg was intentionally walked to load the bases once again. However, Craig Sandford was walked on the next at-bat to bring home Jordan Northrup as the visitor's went ahead, 3-1.
- Following two scoreless innings, the Cardinals regained a lead in the bottom of the seventh. After two singles and a sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third with one out, Andrew Keith '19 hit an infield single to the pitcher that brought home Ellis Schaefer '17. O'Sullivan doubled to left field on the next at-bat, and Keith scored from second after the left fielder bobbled the ball. Shortly after, O'Sullivan reached third on a wild pitch and scored on a throwing error by the catcher to give Wesleyan a 4-3 lead.
- Hamilton tied the game at 4-4 the following inning following a throwing error from the Cardinals' catcher with a runner on second.
- In the bottom of the 11th, Jonny Corning '20 hit a lead-off single through the right side. Three batters later, Earle drove him home from second with a single to center field for the walk-off.
- Four players recorded two hits in the game, while Earle, Jeye and Keith each recorded a RBI. Earle also hit a triple. Nick Miceli '17 started on the mound and struck out nine batters in 6.0 innings. He allowed just three runs on five hits. Ethan Rode '17 picked up the win with 5.0 innings of relief work. He did not allow an earned run (one unearned) and surrendered just two hits while striking out seven.
- Hamilton registered seven hits from seven players with Chris Collins recording the lone extra-base hit, a two-RBI double. Finlay O'Hara started on the mound and threw 6.0 innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits with just two strikeouts. Max Jones was credited with the loss after 4.1 innings pitched. He allowed three runs (one earned) on six hits, while striking out four.
- The Cardinals are scheduled to return to action Wednesday, April 5 for a non-conference road game against Johnson & Wales. The first pitch is set for 4 p.m.