Score: Williams 4, Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (13-5, 4-1 NESCAC West), Williams (9-4, 4-2 NESCAC West)
Location: Williamstown, Mass. (Bobby Combs Field)
Date: Sunday, April 9th
Time: 1 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team suffered its first NESCAC West loss as it dropped the series finale to Little Three rival Williams College, 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at Bobby Coombs Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Little Three rivals played two scoreless innings before the Ephs scored four runs in the bottom of the third. Jackson Parese scored on an error, while Jack Cloud and Kellen Hatheway notched RBI singles. Hatheway later scored on a balk.
- It was a pitcher's dual from innings 4-8 with the teams combining for just four total hits.
- In the top of the ninth, the Cardinals would look for the comeback once again. Andrew Keith '19 led off with a single, and two batters later Ryan Earle '19 singled to put runners on first and second with one out. A wild pitch would advance the runners into scoring position, and Keith scored on an error to bring Wesleyan to within three runs at 4-1 with two outs.
- John Lamont got the final out, stranding runners on the corners, as Williams claimed the 4-1 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Keith led the Cardinals with two hits in the game. Earle, Ellis Schaefer '17 and Jake Alonzo '20 accounted for the other Wesleyan hits.
- Alec Olmstead '20 pitched 5.2 innings in relief, and allowed just two hits while striking out four.
- Lamont went the distance for the Ephs, striking out 15 batters while allowing just two walks, five hits and one run (unearned).
- The Cardinals will head back on the road for a non-conference matchup against Salve Regina on Tuesday, April 11th. Frist pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.