Score: Coast Guard 11, Wesleyan 9
Records: Wesleyan (13-7), U.S. Coast Guard Academy (12-16)
Location: New London, Conn.
Date: Wednesday, April 12th
Time: 4 p.m.
The Lead: Down 9-0 after two innings, the Wesleyan University baseball team made a furious comeback, however the comeback attempt fell just short as the Cardinals fell to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 11-9 on the road on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears scored six runs in the first inning to take a quick 6-0 lead.
- The home team scored three more times in the second to increase their lead to 9-0
- Will O'Sullivan '17 knocked in Danny Rose '19 in the third to make the score 9-1.
- Zach Serna hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to put the Coast Guard up 11-1.
- In the fifth, Matt Jeye '18 doubled home O'Sullivan and Jake Alonzo '20 to bring Wesleyan to within five.
- The Cardinals exploded for five runs in the sixth to get to within three runs. Rose doubled home two runs, while Andrew Keith '19 followed with a RBI triple, and later scored on an O'Sullivan double. Jeye then added another RBI on a single to right field.
- The comeback would continue for the visitors as Jesse Levy-Rubinett '20 homered to right to bring Wesleyan to with two runs at 11-9. AJ Ferrara '18 walked, but he would be stranded on first as the Bears claimed the 11-9 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Jeye led the Cardinals with 3 RBI in the game while Rose and O'Sullivan each notched two in the game.
- Jeye, Keith and O'Sullivan each registered two hits a piece in the contest.
- Brendan McNeil led all players with 4 RBI for Coast Guard while Serna knocked in three runs in the game.
- Each team registered ten hits a piece in the contest.
- Wesleyan returns to the diamond on Saturday, April 15th as it will host Endicott College in a double-header. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. at Dresser Diamond.