Score: Wesleyan 9, Mitchell 3
Records: Wesleyan (16-8), Mitchell (18-10)
Location: New London, Conn. (Alumni Field)
Date: Tuesday, April 18th
Time: 4:00 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University baseball team cruised to a 9-3 victory over Mitchell College on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Collin Andrews '18 scored on a throwing error to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead. Andrew Keith '19 singled in Tanner Fulkerson '20 to make the score 2-0, and Danny Rose '19 homered to left field to conclude the three run third inning for Wesleyan.
- Matt Jeye '18 would score in the fourth, and Andrews doubled home Nick Miceli '17 to make the score 5-0.
- Back-to-back homeruns from Will O'Sullivan '17 and Jeye put the Cardinals ahead 7-0 in the fifth.
- The Mariners got on the board in the seventh with RBIs from Brody Adams, Mike Jason and Tristan Hurley to make the score 7-3.
- Rose singled home Jeye, and later scored on an O'Sullivan double to put the visitors ahead 9-3 in the ninth.
- The home team got runners on in the bottom of the ninth, but were unable to get a run across and the Cardinals would claim the 9-3 win.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Rose led all players with three hits, going 3-5 on the day.
- O'Sullivan and Andrews each notched two hits in the contest.
- Alec Olmstead '20 earned his second win as he went six innings, allowing one hit and two runs. Ryan Earle '19 was great in relief going 2.1 innings, giving up no hits and striking out two.
- Wesleyan tallied 11 hits in the game, while its pitching staff shined once again, allowing just three hits to Mitchell.
- The Cardinals return to the diamond on Friday, April 21st as they will head to Vermont to take on Middlebury. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.