Posted: Mar 14, 2019
TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team fell 13-7 to Dubuque (4-1-1) on Wednesday night. The Cardinals (0-3) will have a chance to avenge the loss when the teams will play again on Thursday evening at 8:00 p.m.
- The Spartans took an early 1-0 lead in the first when Jack Lasswell scored on a sacrifice fly by Kellen Mitchell.
- Dubuque increased the advantage to 9-0 in the bottom of the third. A double by Mitchell and a sacrifice fly from Justin Jensen drove in two runs, before Mitchell stole third and touched the plate on an error. With the bases loaded later, Jordan Goldstein's double drove in two runs, before the Spartans added three more for the 9-0 lead.
- With the bases loaded, in the top of the fifth, Wesleyan's Chase Pratt hit a triple to drive in all three runners. He crossed home plate one batter later on a single by Danny Rose to cut the deficit to five (9-4).
- Dubuque's Mitchell added a run in the bottom of the sixth, before Jake Alonzo hit a home run to make it 10-5.
- The Spartans added three runs in the bottom of the seventh to make it 13-5.
- Wesleyan threatened in the top of the eight with the bases loaded. Pinch hitter Adam Geibel touched home on a single by Alonzo to make it 13-6, but the Cardinals were unable to plate another run.
- Weselayn added a final run in the top of the ninth when Rose crossed the plate, but that was as close as the Cardinals could get as they fell by a score of 13-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's David Redfield suffered the loss, allowing seven runs on three hits during a pair of innings.
- Nathan Schneiderman recorded the win for the Spartans, allowing no runs on one hit over three innings.
- Pratt finished with three RBI and a triple, while Alonzo recorded two RBI and a home run for the Cardinals.
- For Dubuque, Mitchell finished with three RBI and a double, while Jensen and Thomas Kempf each recorded two RBI and Kempf added a double.