TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team (2-6) was edged 12-11 by Saint John's (Minn.) when the Johnnies (12-1) used a ninth-inning rally to propel them past the Cardinals on Sunday afternoon. The Cardinals are off on Monday, before playing a doubleheader against Grinnell on Tuesday, with the first game beginning at 3:00 p.m.
- In the top of the second, Andrew Keith singled, Chase Pratt hit a double and Jonny Corning walked to load the bases before Adam Geibel hit a grand slam to clear the bases and put the Cardinals up 4-0. Later, Alex Cappitelli touched home on a single by Andrew Kauf as Wesleyan led 5-0.
- Chase Pratt led off the top of the third with a homer, before a single by Kauf brought in Cappitelli and Corning. Two plays later, Kauf and Jake Alonzo crossed the plate on a single by Danny Rose for a commanding 10-0 advantage.
- Saint John's got back four runs in the bottom of the third to make it 10-4. Ethan Roe scored on a double by Wyatt Ulrich, before a double by Jack Schramel drove in Joey Stock and Max Jackson.
- The Johnnies chipped away at the deficit in the bottom of the sixth. Schramel touched home on a triple by Thomas Meland, before Meland scored on the next play. Saint John's added two more runs to bring them within two (10-8).
- With runners on first and second in the top of the seventh, Wesleyan's Cappitelli scored on a throwing error to increase the Cardinal lead to 11-8.
- Saint John's put the game away in the bottom of the ninth. Jackson scored on a single by Schramel, before Stock crossed the plate on a double by Meland. Jack Wingerd hit a walk-off double to score Meland and Aaron Kloeppner as the Johnnies edged the Cardinals 12-11.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Alonzo suffered the loss on the mound for Wesleyan, allowing four runs on four hits with two strikeouts over two innings.
- Geibel recorded a homer and four RBI, while Pratt hit a homer, a double and had an RBI for the Cardinals. Kauf went 3-5 with three RBI, while Alonzo went 3-6.
- Stanley Ridgeway picked up the win in relief for the Johnnies allowing no runs and no hits in one inning of work.
- Saint John's Schramel went 3-4 with a double and three RBI, while Ulrich was 3-5 with a double and two RBI. Meland hit a triple, a double and had two RBI.