Mar 21, 2019
TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team (4-7) cruised past Macalester (3-3) 16-9 on Thursday afternoon. The Cardinals will play their final game of spring break on Friday at noon against Hamline.
- With Alex Cappitelli on first in the bottom of the first, Andrew Kauf hit a double to left center to drive in Cappitelli and put Wesleyan up 1-0.
- Macalester responded in the top of the third, taking a 2-1 edge when a triple by Leonardo Bucello drove in Graham Low, before Bucello touched home on a sacrifice fly by Michael Helton.
- The Cardinals knotted the game 2-2 when Jamie Mills crossed the plate on a single from Kauf in the bottom of the third.
- Macalester took a decisive 7-2 advantage in the top of the fourth. Anthony Palma tripled down the right field line to bring home Alex Bearden, before crossing the plate himself on the next batter. Later, a triple by Low drove home Jared Abelson, before reaching home on a sacrifice fly by Bucello. They capped the inning with a score from Sam Rosevear.
- In the next half of the inning, Wesleyan's Mills singled down the left line to drive in Jake Alonzo. Later, Nick Valicenti touched home on a single by Cappitelli, before Cappitelli crossed home plate. Andrew Keith scored later, before a sacrifice fly to center by Alonzo brought home Kauf as the Cardinals took an 8-7 edge.
- Wesleyan increased its lead to 10-7 in the bottom of the fifth. Mills hit a double to right center to drive in Valicenti, before later scoring himself on a sacrifice fly by Keith.
- The Cardinals added two more scores in the bottom of the sixth. A double down the left line by Valicenti brought home Alonzo and Rose, before Jesse Levy-Rubinett tallied an unearned run for the 14-7 lead.
- Macalester got back two runs in the top of the eighth, cutting the deficit to 14-9, but a double by Cappitelli and a single by Kauf drove in two final scores for Wesleyan, as the Cardinals cruised to a 16-9 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- David Redfield earned the win in relief for Wesleyan, allowing two runs on three hits over one inning.
- Kauf went 4-5 with a double and four RBI, while Cappitelli was 3-4 with three RBI and a double. Mills went 3-4 with two RBI, while Valicenti had two RBI.
- Matthew Plisko suffered the loss for Macalester, allowing eight runs on eight hits over four innings of work.
- Palma went 4-5 with a double, triple and an RBI, while Bucello went 2-3 with two RBI.