Posted: Mar 27, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan baseball team (5-8) fell 7-3 to Eastern Connecticut State University (7-5) on Wednesday evening during its home opener.
- The Cardinals looked to get on the board in the bottom of the first with runners on second and third, but they were unable to plate a run.
- In the top of the second, Matt Malcom led off with a triple to center field, before scoring on a double by Luke Broadhurst for the 1-0 early lead.
- Wesleyan answered in its half of the inning. Jake Alonzo doubled through the left side, before Chase Pratt crossed home on a single by Johnny Corning to knot the game 1-1.
- The Warriors cracked the game open in the top of the sixth, scoring four runs. A single by Malcom drove in William Coleman, before Broadhurst and Malcom touched home on a double down the right line by Owen Marcia. Later, Marcia scored to extend the ECSU lead to 5-1.
- ECSU extended its advantage to 7-1 in the top of the eighth. With runners on second and third, a single by Marcia drove in Malcom, before Broadhurst scored on a sacrifice bunt by Dale Keller.
- The Cardinals got back two runs in the bottom of the eighth, when Adam Geibel and Pratt touched home on wild pitches, but that was as close as Wesleyan would get as ECSU hung on for the 7-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Joe Mescall suffered the loss for the Cardinals, allowing three runs on two hits.
- Wesleyan's Andrew Kauf went 3-5 with a double, while Corning had one RBI.
- On the mound for ECSU, Jordan Federer earned the victory, allowing two runs on one hit over three innings of work.
- Broadhurst went 3-3 with two doubles, while Marica went 2-3 with a double and three RBI. Malcom went 2-3 with a triple and an RBI.
- Wesleyan kicks off NESCAC play hosting Little Three rival Amherst on Friday at 4:00 p.m., before taking on the Mammoths in a doubleheader road contest on Saturday.