AMHERST, Mass. – The Wesleyan baseball team (7-9, 2-1) took the first game of a doubleheader 4-2 against Amherst (7-6, 1-2) on Saturday, before the Mammoths rallied to edge the Cardinals 3-2 in game two. On Friday night, Wesleyan downed Amherst 4-2 at home, recording a 2-1 series win over Amherst on NESCAC opening weekend.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the top of the third, Wesleyan's Tanner Fulkerson reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch, before Alex Cappitelli singled to second base to drive Fulkerson home for the 1-0 early lead.
- Amherst threatened in the bottom of the fourth with runners on second and third, but Dan Lombardo struck out the next batter to end the inning.
- The Cardinals increased their lead to 3-0 in the top of the fifth. With the bases loaded, Jake Alonzo touched home on a wild pitch, before a sacrifice fly by Andrew Keith drove in Johnny Corning.
- The Mammoths got back two runs in their half of the inning. A single up the middle by Joseph Palmo brought home Daniel Qin, before Kai Terada-Herzer scored on a single by Stephen Burke to make it 3-2.
- Wesleyan added an insurance run in the top of the seventh when a single to center field by Keith drove in Corning to make it 4-2.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lombardo picked up the win on the mound, allowing two runs on six hits, while striking out three over four innings. Alonzo recorded the save for Wesleyan, pitching two innings of scoreless relief, while striking out three.
- Corning went 1-1, while Keith recorded two RBI and Capitelli added one for the Cardinals.
- Amherst's Davis Brown suffered the loss, allowing three runs on two hits over four innings of work.
- Qin went 2-2, Burke went 2-3 with a double and an RBI and Terada-Herzer went 2-4 for the Mammoths.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. With runners on second and third, Danny Rose hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Keith, before a single by Adam Geibel drove in Kauf.
- Amherst got back one run in the bottom of the third when Rob Casey III touched home on a single by Palmo, cutting the deficit to one (2-1).
- The Mammoths led off the bottom of the fourth with a homer to left field by Chase Henley, knotting the game 2-2.
- Amherst scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the fifth when Terada-Herzer crossed home on a throwing error to make it 3-2.
- Wesleyan looked to tally a score in the top of the eighth with runners on first and second, but were unable to plate a run, as the Mammoths hung on for the victory.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Peter DeLalio suffered the loss allowing one run.
- Fulkerson went 2-3 for the Cardinals, while Kauf went 2-4 and Rose and Geibel each had an RBI.
- Andrew Nagel earned the win for Amherst, allowing two runs on six hits over seven innings of work.
- Qin and Terada-Herzer each went 2-3 with a double, while Henley had a homer and RBI.
- The Cardinals travel to Johnson & Wales on Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. start.