Apr 03, 2019
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Wesleyan baseball team (8-9) cruised to an 18-5 victory over Johnson & Wales (14-6) on the road on Wednesday.
- A pair of fielding miscues in the first inning allowed Wesleyan's Adam Geibel and Ryan Earle to touch home, before a double by Chase Pratt drove in Jake Alonzo for the 3-0 lead.
- The Cardinals extended their advantage to 10-0 in the next inning. Jonny Corning, Alex Cappitelli and Earle singled to load the bases, before Danny Rose drove home Corning. Later, back-to-back singles by Jake Alonzo and Pratt brought home Earle and Rose to make it 6-0. Geibel later crossed home plate, before a fielder's choice allowed Alonzo to score. Wesleyan wrapped up the inning when Andrew Keith singled to bring home Jesse Levy-Rubinett.
- In the top of the third, the Cardinals continued to increase the lead. Geibel and Earle touched home on a single by Pratt, before Alonzo and Pratt scored a pair of unearned runers for a decisive 14-0 advantage.
- Johnson & Wales' Rich Bourdeau led off the bottom of the third with a triple, before touching home on the next better to make it 14-1.
- Wesleyan's Earle touched home in the top of the fourth to make it 15-1, before the Wildcats got back another run in their half of the inning. With runners on second and third, Tim Lombardi scored on a double by Armani Henderson.
- Johnson & Wales slowly chipped away at the deficit. In the bottom of the fifth, a triple by Adam Diehl drove in Anthony Roman, Diehl scored on the next play to make it 15-4.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Johnson & Wales' Diehl crossed home on a wild pitch, cutting the deficit to five (15-5).
- The Cardinals solidified the victory in the final two innings. In the top of the right, a sacrifice fly by Keith brought home Levy-Rubinett, before Cappitelli touched home on a double by Earle. In the ninth, Wesleyan added a final score when Tommy Alpert crossed home for the 18-5 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Peter DeLalio earned the win allowing just one run on one hit.
- Earle went 2-3 with a double and an RBI, Pratt went 3-5 with four RBI, while Keith went 2-4 and four Cardinals recorded a pair of RBI's.
- On the mound, Dan Heise suffered the loss for the Wildcats, allowing 10 runs on nine hits over two innings.
- Diehl went a perfect 2-2 with a triple and an RBI.
- Wesleyan will host Hamilton in a NESCAC West series beginning on Saturday at noon. The first day will feature a doubleheader, while Sunday will have a lone game starting at noon.