MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan baseball team (12-13) knocked off No. 11 Wheaton (25-7) on Tuesday afternoon with a 3-2 victory. The Cardinals scored three runs in the fifth, including a two-run double by Andrew Kauf, to propel themselves past the Lyons.
- Wheaton's Brody Ashley led off with a single to left center, before stealing second and touching home on a single by Jacob Studley for the 1-0 edge.
- The Lyons doubled their advantage (2-0) in the top of the second. Stephen Quigley's sacrifice bunt advanced runners to second and third, before George Mulcahey scored on a fielder's choice.
- Wesleyan threatened in the bottom of the third after Nolan Webb walked, stole second and advanced to third. Jake Alonzo later reached on a fielder's choice, but Wheaton shortstop Drew Spirito tagged Webb out at home.
- In the top of the fifth, Adam Geibel walked, Webb singled to center and Alex Cappitelli walked to load the bases, before a single to center by Alonzo drove in Geibel. Andrew Kauf hit a double to left center just inside the fence to bring home Cappitelli and Webb for the 3-2 Cardinal edge.
- Wheaton looked to get things going in the top of the seventh when Nick Raposo walked and Spirito was later hit by a pitch, but the Lyons left both runners stranded.
- The Cardinals held the Lyons scoreless in their final two at-bats to on for the 3-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Joe Mescall earned the win, allowing just one hit and no runs over one inning.
- Alonzo and Geibel both went 1-2, while Alonzo had an RBI. Kauf recorded two RBI's and a two-run double.
- Zach Pipa suffered the loss on the mound for Wheaton, allowing three runs on three hits.
- Ashley went 3-4 with an RBI and a run, while Studley went 2-5 with an RBI.
- The Cardinals are back in action on Wednesday when they head to Coast Guard for a 4:00 p.m. start, before hitting the road for a NESCAC West series at Middlebury this weekend.