NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wesleyan baseball team (13-13) came from behind to defeat Coast Guard 9-5 in extra innings on Wednesday. Down 4-2 in the ninth inning, the Cardinals knotted the game 4-4 to send it into extra innings, before five runs in the 10th propelled Wesleyan past the Bears (15-16).
- The Bears capitalized on a pair of Wesleyan miscues to take a 1-0 edge in the bottom of the first. Trey Rittenhouse reached on an error, before later touching home on a wild pitch.
- The Cardinals threatened in the top of the second when Andrew Keith singled, Danny Rose single and Ben Owen walked to load the bases, but Wesleyan was unable to plate a run.
- Coast Guard increased its advantage in the bottom of the fourth. Will Stephens and Jeremy Lhotka singled, before Stephens scored on a single by Luke Thompson for the 2-0 lead.
- Wesleyan cut the deficit to one in the top of the sixth. Jake Alonzo singled to left before later crossing home on a single by Ryan Earle, making it 2-1.
- The Bears extended their advantage to 4-1 in the bottom of the seventh when Reed Jenkins hit a two-run homer.
- The Cardinals responded in their next at-bat when Keith doubled to left, advanced to third on an error, and later touched home on a single by Rose to make it 4-2.
- Wesleyan's Alex Cappitelli led-off the ninth with a double to left field, before Chase Pratt walked. The duo took advantage of throwing an error to each move up a base, before Cappitelli later touched home. Pratt capitalized on a wild pitch to score, knotting the game 4-4.
- Coast Guard looked to close out the game on top during its half of the inning with the bases loaded and only one out, but the Cardinals came up big with a double play to deny the Bears of a run.
- In the top of the 10th, Rose walked, Adam Geibel singled and Cappitelli singled to load the bases. Later, Rose took advantage of a passed ball to touch home, before a two-run double by Jonny Corning drove home Cappitelli and Geibel. Tanner Fulkerson closed out the inning with a two-run homer to left field, lifting the Cardinals past the Bears 9-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- On the mound, Alonzo earned the win, throwing one inning of scoreless relief.
- Corning went 1-1 with two RBI's and a double, Cappitelli went 2-3 with a double and Rose went 2-4 with an RBI. Fulkerson recorded three RBI's and a homer for Wesleyan.
- Connor Glynn suffered the loss for Coast Guard, allowing five runs on four hits over one inning of work.
- Jenkins went 1-3 with a homer and two RBI's, while Alex Cordes went 1-3.
- The Cardinals travel to Middlebury for a NESCAC West series this weekend.