Posted: Apr 30, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan baseball team (15-15) downed St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) 9-3 on Tuesday afternoon. The Bears conclude the regular season with a record of 15-20-1.
- The Bears jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first when Adam Palermo hit a double to drive in Chris Zinser and Adam Schwartz.
- In the second, Dan Lombardo started in relief and retired the side in order.
- Jake Alonzo ripped a double to left center in the second, driving in Tanner Fulkerson and Danny Rose to knot the game at 2-2.
- Alex Cappitelli led-off third with a triple to left center, before later touching home to make it 3-2.
- St. Joseph's threatened in the top of the fourth. Mike Ryan singled through the left side, before advancing to second on a sacrifice bunt. Later, Joe Langan singled to right center, advancing Ryan to third, but the Bears were unable to plate a run.
- In Wesleyan's half of the inning, Adam Geibel got things going with a double to right center, before crossing home on a triple to right field by Fulkerson for the 4-2 advantage.
- The Bears cut the deficit to one (4-3) in the top of the fifth. Schwartz singled to left center, advanced to second on a wild pitch, and later scored on a Cardinal miscue.
- The Cardinals looked to increase their lead in their half of the inning when Wes Fritch singled through the right side, before advancing to second on an error and reaching third on a wild pitch, but St. Joseph's recorded two-straight outs to deny Wesleyan of another score.
- Wesleyan cracked the game open in the sixth. With two outs, Keith singled to right field to drive in Alonzo, before Cappitelli stole home and Keith touched home on a single by Fritch, making it 7-3.
- With two outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh, Cappitelli was hit by a pitch to score Geibel for the 8-3 advantage.
- Wesleyan added a run in the eighth when Fulkerson singled to drive home Rose for the 9-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nolan Webb picked up his first win of the season, allowing just one run on three hits, while striking out three over a trio of innings.
- Fulkerson went 2-4 with an RBI, while Keith and Alonzo each had two RBI's. Cappitelli added a triple and an RBI for Wesleyan.
- C.J. Bunnicelli suffered the loss for St. Joseph's, allowing four runs on five hits over four innings of work.
- Schwartz went a perfect 3-3 with a double, while Palermo had two RBI and a double.
- The Cardinals entertain Western Connecticut State at 4:00 p.m. Wednesday.