MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan baseball team (16-15) eased past Western Connecticut State 10-3 on Wednesday afternoon in its non-conference finale. The Cardinals will play a NESCAC West series against Williams this weekend, before wrapping up the regular-season hosting Trinity on Sunday at Palmer Field.
- The Colonials (6-22) got on the board in the top of the third when Logan Terry reached home on a passed ball for the 1-0 edge.
- Wesleyan answered in its half of the inning. Jake Alonzo singled through the left side, Alex Cappitelli walked and Jamie Mills was hit by a pitch to load the bases, before Andrew Keith singled up the middle to drive in Alonzo and Cappitelli for the 2-1 lead.
- Western Connecticut threatened to knot the game in the fourth when Jake Babon singled, Kevin Smith walked and Adam Muzsi was hit by a pitch to load the bases, but all runners were left stranded.
- Wesleyan cracked the game open in the fifth. Cappitelli got things going with a single to left center, before stealing second and crossing home on a single by Mills. Later, Wes Fritch doubled to right center to drive in Mills and Keith, before a double by Adam Geibel brought home Jonny Corning and Fritch for the 7-1 advantage. The Cardinals looked to continue their run with bases loaded, but Western Connecticut's Jonathon Vigdorchik struck out two-straight to end the inning.
- The Colonials got back two runs in the top of the seventh when Erik Merrill scored on a passed ball, before Matt Mancini touched home on a sacrifice fly by Babon to make it 7-3.
- The Cardinals extended their lead to 10-3 in their next at-bat. Nick Valicenti walked, Alonzo bunted and Cappitelli was hit by a pitch to load the bases, before Mills singled to drive in Valicenti. Later, Keith was hit by a pitch as Alonzo scampered home, before Fritch drove in Cappitelli.
- The Colonials tried to get things going in the top of the eighth when Muzsi singled, advanced to second on a throwing error and then advanced to third on a sacrifice fly, the Western Connecticut was unable to plate a run and Wesleyan secured the 10-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- On the mound, Mike McCaffrey earned the win for the Cardinals, allowing just one run on five hits, while striking out five over six innings.
- Alonzo went 4-5, while Keith and Mills both went 2-4 with a pair of RBI's each. Geibel recorded a double and two RBI, while Fritch drove in three.
- Kyle Brelling suffered the loss for the Colonials, allowing two runs on three hits over four innings of work.
- Merrill went a perfect 2-2, while Babon was 1-2 with an RBI.
- Wesleyan begins its final NESCAC West series at Williams on Friday, before returning home to host the Ephs on Saturday for a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.