Score: Wesleyan 3, Roger Williams 1
Records: Wesleyan (2-7, 0-4 NESCAC), Roger Williams (2-7, 2-3 CCC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Smith Field)
Date: Sunday, October 2nd
Time: 1 p.m.
The Lead: Ali Friend '19 notched a goal and an assist, as the Wesleyan University field hockey team defeated the visiting Roger Williams Hawks by a score of 3-1 on Sunday afternoon.
- Cici Frattasio '18 and the Cardinals offense put together great scoring opportunities early in the first half, but were unable to convert, as Mya Lunn and the Hawks defense were able to prevent the ball from finding the back of the net.
- The home team finally broke the scoreless tie late in the first half as Friend took the ball off a violation and laced a pass to Abby Warren '19 who put it in the corner of the net for the 1-0 lead at 32:08.
- Wesleyan extended its advantage to 2-0 as Friend took a rebound and rocketed a shot past Lunn at 41:55.
- Roger Williams cut the deficit to one in the second half as Kathryn Omdahl took the Anna Vasaturo pass and put it past Claire Edelman '17 in the 58th minute.
- The Cardinals responded a minute later as Frattasio took the Lauren Yue '17 pass and put in the back of the net to put the home team back up by two at 3-1.
- Wesleyan would hold onto claim the 3-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Cardinals outshot the Hawks 11-3 and took six more penalty corners at 7-1.
- Edelman made one save on her way to earning the victory in net.
- Frattasio, Warren, and Erica Horowitz '20 each took three shots in the game for the home team.
- Wesleyan will play next on Saturday, October 8th as they will travel to Colby for an 11 a.m. contest.
- The Hawks return to action on Tuesday, October 4th as they play Gordon at 4 p.m.