Score: Trinity 4, Wesleyan 2
Records: Wesleyan (2-11, 0-8 NESCAC), No. 11 Trinity (11-3, 6-3 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Smith Field)
Date: Wednesday, October 19th
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University field hockey team suffered a hard fought 4-2 defeat against No. 11 Trinity College under the lights at Smith Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bantams opened up the scoring in the first half with a goal by Kelcie Finn, who took a pass from Chandler Solimine and put it in the back of the net at 17:09 for the 1-0 advantage.
- After a few good opportunities in the Trinity end, the Cardinals were finally able to get one past Bantam's net minder, Lori Berger. Coming off a penalty corner taken by Lauren Yue '17, Wesleyan made some crisp passes before getting the ball on net where Tierney Behles '18 was able tip in a pass from Yue at 27:04 to tie the game at one.
- The visitors regained the lead in the second half as Finn netted her second goal of the game at 42:24, taking the Allison Slowe pass off the penalty corner and putting it past Claire Edelman '17 for the 2-1 lead.
- Trinity would bring its lead to 3-1 as Finn set up Solimine in front of the net for the goal at 49:31.
- Solimine would notch her second goal at 54:16 off a pass from Slowe to increase the Bantams' lead to 4-1.
- Cici Frattasio '18 would bring the home team to within two goals as she deflected the Maddie Shea '20 shot past Berger at 63:18 to make the score 4-2.
- Wesleyan had another excellent opportunity just a few minutes later off a penalty corner, but this time Berger was able to make the save to keep the score at 4-2 in favor of Trinity.
- The Bantams would not allow another goal, and would come away with the 4-2 win.
- Edelman made seven saves in the game, while Berger made two.
- Frattasio led Wesleyan with two shots on goal.
- The Cardinals will return to the field on Saturday, October 22th as they will host Little Three rival Amherst at 12 p.m. on Homecoming. Wesleyan will also honor its four seniors prior to the game.
- Trinity will return to action on Wednesday, October 26th as they will conclude the regular season with a 7 p.m. matchup against Amherst.