Sep 05, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan field hockey team (1-0) kicked off the 2018 campaign with a 6-0 shutout against Eastern Connecticut State (0-2) on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan wasted little time getting on the board as Erica Horowitz scored just 4:55 into the first half on a feed from Nikki Gerjarusak.
- Rachel Curran and Meghan Jain scored 1:07 apart, increasing the Cardinal advantage to 3-0 at the 26:03 mark.
- Just 1:01 into the second stanza, Colleen Carrigan found the back of the cage on a dish from Amy Schaap to make it 4-0.
- The Horowitz-Gerjarusak duo struck again at the 44:56 mark when Gerjarusak set Horowitz up for her second goal of the contest.
- The final goal of the game came at the 62:30 mark when Maddie Shea connected with a pass from Olivia Baglieri to make it 6-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan held a 31-4 shots advantage in the game and led 8-1 in penalty corners.
- Cardinal goalkeeper Delaney Wood was forced to make just four stops during 60:19 of action, while Caitlin Grant was not forced to make any saves in the final 9:41.
- Warrior goalkeeper Keira Integlia made 14 saves during 47:47 of play, while Abby Harris made nine stops during 22:13 of action.
- The Cardinals will travel to Babson on Saturday for a noon start.