Posted: Sep 15, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan field hockey team (2-2, 0-1) held No. 10 Bowdoin (4-0, 3-0) to just two goals in its first NESCAC game of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan had a great chance to score early on. Nikki Gerjarusak carried the ball into the circle, forcing Bowdoin goalkeeper Maddie Ferrucci off her line to deny Gerjarusak's shot at the 8:33 mark.
- The Polar Bears got on the board at the 17:09 mark when Emma Steven's tipped in a pass from Tala Glass, to make it 1-0.
- Bowdoin struck again just two minutes later when Steven's buried the ball in the bottom right of the cage after a long pass from Manveer Sandhu.
- The Cardinals had an opportunity to score at the 68:12 mark, but Amy Schaap's shot was blocked by a Polar Bear defender.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Delaney Wood made six stops in goal during the loss, while Ferrucci picked up the win with just three saves.
- The Cardinals will host Mount Holyoke on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.