Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wesleyan Holds Off Comeback Attempt by Lyons

Photo courtesy Lianne Yun '18
Photo courtesy Lianne Yun '18

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan field hockey team (3-2) held off a second-half comeback attempt by Mount Holyoke, earning a 4-2 victory over the Lyons on Thursday evening. The four Cardinal goals, were the most scored against Mount Holyoke (4-3) by an opponent this season, and was the first Wesleyan win against the Lyons since 2012.


  • Wesleyan wasted little time, notching a goal just 1:51 into the contest when Nikki Gerjarusak one-timed a rebound off an initial shot by Colleen Carrigan, for the 1-0 lead.
  • The Cardinals added another goal at the 8:03 mark after a penalty corner by Rachel Pomerantz. Carrigan connected with the insert, slipping the ball past a charging-Morgan Turner, making it 2-0.
  • Wesleyan extended its lead to three just 4:30 later when Gerjarusak tipped-in a pass from Erica Horowitz.
  • Mount Holyoke mounted a comeback attempt in the second half, notching two quick goals, cutting the deficit to one.
  • The first Lyons' goal came after Cardinal goalkeeper Delaney Wood denied an initial shot by Kylie Brooks. Kass Lawrence one-timed the rebound, sneaking the ball past Wood on the near post, to make it 3-1 at the 43:16 mark.
  • Mount Holyoke's Lawrence brought it to within one (3-2), just 3:39 later when she tipped-in a pass from Margaret Robb, for her second goal of the game.  
  • The Cardinals responded at the 49:21 mark when Olivia Baglieri stopped an insert by Pomerantz on the left side of the circle, before rifling a shot into the bottom right of the cage for the 4-2 advantage.
  • The Lyons had four shots in the final 3:16 of play, but were unable to capitalize on any opportunities as Wesleyan hung on for the win.


  • Wesleyan held a 27-19 advantage in shots during the contest, with a slight edge in penalty corners (11-9).
  • Wood made six stops in goal for the Cardinals, while Turner made nine saves for the Lyons.


  • The Cardinals will continue NESCAC play, traveling to Bates on Saturday for a noon start, before heading to Tufts on Tuesday for a 6:00 p.m. contest.