Posted: Oct 03, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan field hockey team (3-6, 0-5) fell 4-0 to No. 18 Trinity (7-2, 4-2) on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trinity wasted little time getting on the board, scoring just 1:13 into the stanza. Caelin Flaherty collected the rebound after Chandler Solimine's initial shot was denied, before burying the ball in bottom right for the 1-0 edge.
- The Bantams had a great chance to tack on another tally at the 8:18 mark, but Cardinal goalkeeper Delaney Wood used her right blocker to thwart the opportunity.
- Wesleyan looked to knot the game 11:57 in, but Trinity goalie Lori Berger came charging off her line to deny Colleen Carrigan.
- Trinity added a goal at the 25:19 mark when Solimine beat a Wesleyan defender on the left side, before tucking the ball inside the far post for the 2-0 lead.
- The Cardinals had a chance to score at the 37:27 mark when Olivia Baglieri stopped an insert from Rachel Pomerantz, before hitting a hard shot that sailed just wide left of the cage.
- The Bantams added a tally at the 38:52 mark when Solimine collected the rebound off an initial blocked shot by Kendall Brown, before finding the goal through traffic, making it 3-0.
- Trinity had an opportunity to add a goal at the 54:13 mark, but Baglieri batted down Nicole Quinlan's shot, recording her fourth defensive save of the season.
- The fourth and final goal for the Bantam's came at the 68:32 mark when Bailey Cunningham found the back of the cage on a cross from Jordan Ragland.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wood suffered the loss for the Cardinals, recording eight stops in 60:59 of play, while Caitlin Grant was forced to make no saves in the final 9:01.
- Berger had three stops in goal for the Bantams.
- The Cardinals will continue NESCAC play on when they travel to Colby on Saturday for a noon start.