MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan field hockey team (5-7) suffered a 1-0 loss to No. 19 Babson (11-3) on Sunday afternoon. Before the game, the Cardinals honored their seven seniors – Rachel Curran, Kayla Di Sibio, Erica Horowitz, Abby Manning, Rachel Pomerantz, Maddie Shea, and Delaney Wood.
- The first quarter was a defensive battle, as each team held the other to just one shot. The best opportunity came with 10:59 expired after a penalty corner during an extra player situation for Wesleyan. Olivia Baglieri stopped the insert, before sending a pass to the right post, but Lois Schwarz's tip-in attempt at the 10:59 mark went just wide.
- Babson came out strong in the second quarter, holding an advantage in shots (8-3) and penalty corners (7-2), but the Cardinal defense denied all opportunities as the teams headed into intermission in a scoreless draw.
- Out of the break, the Beavers turned up the pressure, firing four shots in the first 1:50, but they were unable to capitalize on the chances as the contest remained knotted 0-0.
- The Cardinals had a great chance to score at the 41:51 mark when Paris Cipollone one-timed a pass from Pomerantz, but Babson goaltender Cassidy Riley kicked the ball away.
- The visitors broke through with 43:47 expired. Wood denied an initial shot by Maddy Paro, but Isabella Boonstra was right there to tip-in the rebound for the 1-0 edge.
- Wesleyan threatened at the 48:58 mark when Diana Schwarz one-timed a cross from Nikki Gerjarusak, but Riley thwarted the chance with a kick-save.
- D.Schwarz had a final chance for the Cardinal equalizer with 57:33 expired when she one-timed a pass from Manning with a reverse chip, but Riley just got her stick on the ball to deny the goal and seal the 1-0 victory for Babson.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wood made eight saves in goal for Wesleyan, while Riley stopped three for the Beavers.
- The Cardinals hit the road for their final three games of the season. On Saturday, they head to Hamilton for a noon start, before heading to Trinity and Connecticut College the following weekend.