Score: Wesleyan 66, Bard 58
Records: Wesleyan (3-0); Bard (1-3)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Tuesday, November 22
Time: 5 p.m.
The Lead: Harry Rafferty '17 hit a crucial three-pointer with just 1:20 remaining in regulation to give the Wesleyan University men's basketball team a four-point lead as it held on to defeat non-conference foe Bard College Tuesday night, 66-58.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bard opened the game hot from downtown and hit its first four attempts to take a 12-6 lead at the 14:45 mark.
- Minutes later, another three-pointer from Emmanuel Oyakhilome put the visitor's ahead by seven, 17-10.
- Wesleyan slowly cut into the deficit and a free throw by JR Bascom '18 at the 8:39 mark capped off an 8-1 run as the Cardinals got within one.
- However, the Raptors responded and took an eight-point lead with 3:36 remaining after a lay-up from Armando Dunn.
- Salim Green '19 nailed one from beyond-the-arc at the :40 mark, and hit both free throws seconds later to give Wesleyan its first lead of the game, 32-31, with just :03 on the clock.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan, much like the first half, trailed for the majority of the second until back-to-back three-pointers from Rafferty knotted the game at 51-51 with 7:45 remaining.
- Joseph Kuo '17 would then put the Cardinals ahead, 55-51, with a lay-up followed by a pair of free throws over the next two minutes.
- Wesleyan would lead the rest of the way despite a scare from the visitor's at the 1:43 mark as David Runcie hit both shots from the charity strip to get Bard within one, 59-58.
- However, on their next possession, Rafferty received a pass from Green and drilled a three to give the home team the four-point lead and essentially seal the victory as the Cardinals' defense remained resilient and held the Raptors scoreless for the final 1:43.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tuesday's game, despite a close one throughout, featured just four ties and two lead changes.
- Two players scored in double-figures for Wesleyan as Nathan Krill '18 recorded a game-high 16 and added five rebounds. Jordan Sears '18 scored 10 and grabbed five boards, and Jordan Bonner '19 pulled in a team-high six rebounds. Kevin O'Brien '19 led all players with seven assists and also recorded two steals and one block.
- Jelani Bell-Isaac was the lone Bard player in double-figures as he finished with 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting. Dunn led all players with seven rebounds and four blocks, while Bell-Isaac, Chris Lockwood and Pat Kelly each dished out two assists.
- The Cardinals return to action Saturday, Nov. 26 as they play Hartwick in the RIT Tournament in Rochester, N.Y. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.