Score: Wesleyan 94, MCLA 60
Records: Wesleyan (6-0); MCLA (0-6)
Location: North Adams, Mass.
Date: Thursday, December 1
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Andrew Gardiner '19 scored a career- and game-high 27 points to help lead the Wesleyan University men's basketball team to a commanding 94-60 non-conference road win Thursday night against MCLA.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- MCLA scored the first four points of the game, but Wesleyan responded with a 10-0 run capped off by a lay-up from JR Bascom '18 at the 14:19 mark.
- The Trailblazers cut the deficit to one just over four minutes later following a three-pointer from Keiland Cross, but it proved to be the closest the home team would get the rest of the game.
- In the final 4:48 of the half, Wesleyan outscored MCLA 15-2 as a lay-up by Gardiner lifted the Cardinals to a commanding 45-26 halftime lead.
- Wesleyan forced 13 turnovers in the first 20 minutes of play.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half, as the Cardinals opened up with a 6-0 run to go ahead by 25.
- A lay-up by Gardiner at the 11:45 mark sparked another 15-2 Wesleyan run as the visitor's pulled away. A pair of free throws from Salim Green '19 capped off the run as the Cardinals took a 74-35 lead with 8:59 to play in regulation.
- The game went back-and-forth down the stretch as Wesleyan came away with the 94-60 win on the road.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gardiner was one of three Cardinals in double-figures as Kevin O'Brien '19 added 15 points and Green scored 11. Gardiner also dished out a team-high five assists, while O'Brien and Green grabbed six boards each. O'Brien blocked three shots as well to lead all players, and Green's five steals were a game-high.
- MCLA was led by Joe Murray who finished with a double-double on 15 points and 14 rebounds. He was the lone Trailblazer in double-figures, while Collin Parrott dished out a game-high six assists.
- Wesleyan shot 53.3% (32-60) from the floor and held MCLA to 36.5% (23-63). The Cardinals also held a 44-33 edge in rebounding and forced 20 turnovers, while outscoring the Trailblazers 50-28 in the paint.
- Wesleyan returns to the court Saturday, Dec. 3 and will host Little Three rival Williams College in a non-conference matchup. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.