Score: Wesleyan 90, Westfield State 52
Records: Wesleyan (9-0); Westfield State (2-7)
Location: Westfield, Mass. (Woodward Center)
Date: Saturday, December 10
Time: 1 p.m.
The Lead: Harry Rafferty '17 went 7-of-9 from three-point range to help the Wesleyan University men's basketball team extend its winning streak to nine consecutive games with a decisive 90-52 win on the road against Westfield State.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan from the opening tip as the Cardinals took a 17-5 lead at the 12:25 mark following a lay-up from JR Bascom '18.
- Westfield State cut the deficit to nine after a basket from Shane Pasquantonio less than a minute later, but it proved to be the closest the home team would get the rest of the way.
- The Cardinals went on an 11-0 run capped off by a tip-in from Jordan Sears '18 with 6:57 remaining in the half to put the visitor's ahead, 28-8.
- Wesleyan led 39-17 at halftime.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half as the Cardinals continued to increase their lead and put the game out of reach.
- At the 15:04 mark, Andrew Gardiner '18 hit a pair of free throws to give Wesleyan a 30-point advantage, 55-25.
- The Cardinals led by as much as 41 points en route to the decisive victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan never trailed as it shot 55.8% (29-52) from the field, 50% (11-22) from behind-the-arc and 91.3% (21-23) from the charity stripe.
- The Cardinals held a commanding 42-27 edge in rebounding, and had four players score in double-figures. Rafferty led the way with 23 points on 8-of-11 shooting, while Bascom finished with 14 on a perfect 8-of-8 shooting from the free throw line, Gardiner dropped 12 points and Joseph Kuo '17 scored 10. Kevin O'Brien '19 dished out a game-high five assists and Nathan Krill '18 led all players with 10 rebounds.
- Pasquantonio was the lone player in double-figures for the Owls as he finished with 13 points and a team-high five rebounds. Aaron Burke added five boards as well and scored nine points, while recording three steals and two assists.
- Wesleyan returns to action Tuesday, Dec. 20 to face Washington & Lee in Daytona Beach, Fla. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.