MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Nathan Krill '18 recorded a double-double with 22 points and 16 rebounds in 20 minutes of action to help guide the Wesleyan University men's basketball team to a decisive 107-64 win over Mitchell College as the Cardinals claimed the 2017 Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament (sponsored by the Radisson Cromwell Hotel) title. Krill was named Tournament MVP and Kevin O'Brien '19 was named to the All-Tournament Team as Wesleyan improved to 2-0 on the year. The Mariners are now 1-1.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan came out hot to set the tone early as a three-pointer by Krill put the Cardinals up 13-3 at the 16:34 mark.
- It was all Wesleyan in the first 20 minutes of action as the home team held a 58-30 lead at halftime.
- Krill had 14 points at the break and nine boards. Mitchell was led by Colizel Lewis who had six points and four boards in the first half.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was the same story in the second half as Wesleyan continued to apply heavy pressure defensively as the lead increased.
- With 5:03 to play in regulation, the Cardinals led by as much as 48.
- O'Brien scored 10 of his 16 points in the second half while freshman Antone Walker scored nine points on 3-of-5 shooting from downtown.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 53.2% (42-79) from the floor and 30.4% (7-23) from behind-the-arc. The Cardinals held a commanding 51-27 lead in rebounds, 31-10 advantage in second chance points and 62-20 lead down low. Wesleyan also forced 24 turnovers and scored 22 fastbreak points compared to Mitchell's zero.
- Six players scored in double-figures for the Cardinals. Joining Krill and O'Brien were the three freshmen—Jordan James (15), Austin Hutcherson (13) and Antone Walker (12)—while Jordan Bonner '19 added 11. James also grabbed eight rebounds and Hutcherson totaled three with four steals, two blocks and two assists. O'Brien was a force all around as he went 8-of-8 from the floor with eight assists, five steals, four rebounds and one block.
- Mitchell shot 38.3% (23-60) from the floor and 38.5% (5-13) from downtown.
- Domenico Santiago and Steffen Brunson scored 14 and 12 points, respectively, to lead the Mariners. Santiago also dished out a team-high three assists.
- Kevin Kelly, Salve Regina
- Mike Rapoza, Anna Maria
- Steffen Brunson, Mitchell
- Domenico Santiago, Mitchell
- Kevin O'Brien, Wesleyan
- Nathan Krill, Wesleyan – Tournament MVP
- Wesleyan returns to action Tuesday, Nov. 21 and will host Nichols at 7 p.m.