BOSTON, Mass. – The Wesleyan University men's basketball team, led by junior guard Jordan Bonner's 21 points, rolled over Emmanuel College Tuesday night, 88-68. Bonner was 7-of-10 from the floor as the Cardinals improved to a perfect 5-0. With the loss, the Saints are now 1-3 this season.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- After scoring five of the Cardinals' first 15 points, Bonner drew an and-one and made the free throw to put Wesleyan up 18-7 at the 12:10 mark.
- Wesleyan would increase its lead to 26-9 with 9:37 on the clock, getting a boost from a dunk and lay-up by Jordan Sears '18.
- Emmanuel slowed down the Cardinals' momentum with two three-pointers and a layup from Joe Tamburro as it closed the gap to 30-23 with five minutes left in the half.
- Both teams went back-and-forth down the stretch with Wesleyan claiming a 43-33 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Saints came out hot to start the second half, scoring two unanswered field goals and cutting the margin to three, 43-40.
- Bonner helped put the momentum back in Wesleyan's favor with a layup at the 14:59 mark to put the visitor's back up by 11, as the Cardinals would pull away, not letting Emmanuel get closer than seven points the rest of the game.
- Wesleyan led by as much as 23 points with 1:42 on the clock.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals shot 48.4% (31-64) from the floor and outrebounded the Saints 46-31, though Emmanuel was a solid 44.4% from behind the three-point line compared to Wesleyan's 27.8%.
- Nathan Krill '18 impressed with 18 points and six rebounds, along with a team-high four steals. Junior guard Kevin O'Brien led Wesleyan in both boards (11) and assists (9), while JR Bascom '18, Sears, and freshman Jordan James registered 10 points each.
- Emmanuel was led by Emmett Riddick and Joe Tamburro, who combined for 48 of the team's 68 points.
- Wesleyan faces its first NESCAC opponent of the season, Little Three rival and No. 3 Williams, on Saturday night in non-conference action. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. in Williamstown, Mass.