SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Nathan Krill '18 led all players with 17 points and nine rebounds to help lead the 12th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team to a 79-62 win over Fitchburg State Saturday night at the Springfield/Naismith Classic hosted by Springfield College.
The Cardinals pulled away late to remain undefeated on the season as they improve to 9-0 this year. With the loss, the Falcons drop to 3-7 overall.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals scored the first seven points of the game until a three-pointer from Nicholas Tracy at the 15:44 mark jumpstarted a 19-4 run by Fitchburg State.
- Wesleyan trailed by as much as 11 with 7:41 to play in the first half, but rallied with a run of its own. Down 27-16, the Cardinals outscored the Falcons 18-5 down the stretch as a dunk by Jordan James '21 gave Wesleyan a 34-32 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals never trailed in the second half.
- They scored the first five points to increase their lead to seven, 39-32, and with 9:45 to play in regulation, Austin Hutcherson '21 dished it off to Nathan Krill '18 as Krill completed an impressive three-point play to put the Cardinals up by 11.
- With 3:22 remaining, a three from Tracy cut the deficit to five, but it would be the closest Fitchburg State would get the rest of the way as Wesleyan pulled away down the stretch.
- The Cardinals outscored the Falcons 13-1 in the final minutes en route to the 17-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 48.9% (23-47) from the floor and 31.6% (6-19) from downtown while holding a commanding 43-25 advantage in rebounds.
- Hutcherson joined Krill in double-figures with 14 points and Antone Walker '21 scored 13 off the bench. Hutcherson added eight rebounds and three assists as well.
- Fitchburg State was led by Joshua Bosworth and Tracy with 14 and 13 points, respectively. Tyrell St. John added 11 points and Bosworth grabbed a team-high five boards.
- The Cardinals will play Springfield College at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow, Dec. 31.