CLINTON, N.Y. – The 14th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team came up short against 18th-ranked Hamilton College on the road Friday night, 76-70. The Cardinals, led by freshman guard Antone Walker's 17 points off the bench, drop to 10-3 overall and 1-2 in the NESCAC. The win for the Continentals' keeps Hamilton's unbeaten streak intact as it improves to 13-0 overall and 2-0 in league play.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The first 20 minutes of regulation featured back-and-forth action for most of the half.
- Trailing 11-5 at the 16:08 mark, Wesleyan responded with a 10-0 run in four minutes as Nathan Krill '18 capped off the stretch with a three-pointer.
- However, the Continentals came right back with six unanswered to regain the lead, 17-15 with 8:48 on the clock.
- A pair of free throws from Tyler Washington minutes later put the home team ahead 29-20. Hamilton continued to increase its lead with back-to-back baskets from Kena Gilmour as the Continentals claimed a 34-21 advantage with 2:01 remaining.
- Wesleyan responded with another 10-0 run as a layup from Walker cut the deficit to three, but a buzzer beater by Peter Hoffman gave Hamilton a 36-31 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Despite a close second half, the Continentals never trailed in the final 20 minutes of play.
- The Cardinals, down by nine with 11:07 remaining, went on a 6-0 run capped off by a pair of free throws from Austin Hutcherson '21 to cut the deficit to three, 55-52.
- With 8:14 remaining, Jordan Sears '18 dished one off to JR Bascom '18 for a layup to get within two, but it proved to be the closest Wesleyan would get the rest of the way.
- The Cardinals got within three multiple down the stretch but were unable to even the score in the closing minutes as they came up short.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Walker was joined in double-figures by Jordan Bonner '19 who dropped 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting while pulling in nine boards. Krill controlled the glass with a game-high 10 rebounds, and finished with nine points, while Sears scored seven points, grabbed seven boards and recorded five steals.
- Gilmour led all players with 20 points while Hoffman added 12. Tim Doyle dished out a game-high three assists and Andrew Groll grabbed a team-high five rebounds.
- Wesleyan held a 44-33 edge in rebounding.
- The Cardinals wrap up a difficult road weekend tomorrow with a Little Three showdown against Amherst College. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.