MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Jordan Bonner '19 and Nathan Krill '18 combined for 47 points on 18-of-29 shooting, including 9-of-15 from downtown, to help guide the 14th-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team to an 86-71 win over non-conference foe Farmingdale State College on Wednesday night.
Bonner scored a game-high 27 points while Krill added 20 and a game-high 13 rebounds as the Cardinals improved to a 14-4 on the season. The Rams, led by Ali Mableton's 20 points on a perfect 10-of-10 shooting from the free throw line, drop to 10-6 overall.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both teams came out strong and exchanged baskets early and often in the opening minutes with the game knotted at 21-21 with 11:31 to play in the half.
- At the 10:11 mark, a layup by JR Bascom '18 put the Cardinals on top 23-21, and they would never look back.
- Wesleyan took a nine-point lead with 3:22 to play following a three-pointer from Antone Walker '21, and another three just over a minute later by Bonner put Wesleyan ahead by double-digits for the first time, up 39-29.
- Trailing by 11 (44-33) with time running out, Liam Monaghan heaved a three-quarters court shot right before the clock expired to cut the deficit to eight at the half.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan in the final 20 minutes of action.
- The Rams got within six following a pair of free throws from Mableton at the 15:36 mark, but it proved to be the closest the visitors would get the rest of the way.
- Krill responded with back-to-back three-pointers, and then Walker did the same shortly after before a layup by Bascom capped off an impressive 16-3 run in just four minutes.
- The Cardinals got hot from behind-the-arc in the second half, hitting 7-of-12 treys and going 15-of-29 from the floor
- They lead by as much as 26 points with 7:06 to play as they cruised to victory in the final minutes.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan shot 49.2% (32-65) from the floor and 46.4% (13-28) from three-point range, and held a commanding 47-30 advantage in rebounds.
- Bonner was 10-of-15 and 5-of-8 from downtown while Krill went 8-of-14 and 4-of-7 from behind-the-arc. Krill also recorded three steals and two blocks. Austin Hutcherson '21 dished out a game-high four assists, blocked two shots and scored nine points, while Walker finished with 12 points off the bench.
- In addition to his team-high 20 points, Mableton also led Farmingdale State in rebounding with six. He was joined in double-figures by Monaghan with 16 on 4-of-7 shooting from downtown and George Riefenstahl with 12.
- Wesleyan returns to Silloway Gymnasium Friday for its final home weekend series as the Cardinals host Bates on Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. followed by Tufts on Senior Day Saturday, Jan. 27 at 3 p.m.