WATERVILLE, Maine – Trailing by 13 in the first half and six at halftime, the 22nd-ranked Wesleyan University men's basketball team rallied in the final 20 minutes of regulation en route to a pivotal NESCAC win over Colby College, 87-71. The win marked the 300th of Head Coach Joe Reilly's coaching career.
Nathan Krill '18 recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds and Jordan Bonner '19 scored all of his 14 points in the second half as the Cardinals improved to 18-5 overall and 6-3 in league play. The win marks the fourth-consecutive season that Wesleyan has won at least 18 games. The Mules, led by Matt Hanna and Wallace Tucker with 16 points each, dropped to 10-13 and 1-8.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Colby jumped out to 22-9 lead at the 12:42 mark following a jumper from Steven Daley.
- After some back-and-forth action, Wesleyan slowly cut into the deficit and a three-pointer by Antone Walker '21 with 6:06 remaining got the visitors within six, 31-25.
- However, Colby increased its lead once again and claimed a 45-33 advantage after a three-pointer from Ethan Schlager with 2:46 to play.
- Wesleyan did not allow another basket the rest of the half as it scored eight unanswered to get within six at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half was a different story.
- The Cardinals extended its run from the end of the first half and scored nine-straight to open the second as three-consecutive baskets by Hutcherson put the visitors ahead 48-45 with 17:42 to play.
- After Colby tied it up at 48-48 seconds later, a three-pointer from Bonner with 16:35 on the clock gave Wesleyan the lead once again--this time for good.
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead down the stretch and led by as much as 20 with 1:10 on the clock. They outscored Colby 48-26 in the final 20 minutes of play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Four players scored in double-figures for Wesleyan. Krill led the way while Hutcherson added 16, Bonner dropped 14, and JR Bascom '18 scored 13 on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting. Hutcherson also dished out a game-high eight assists.
- Colby had four players in double-figures as well. Joining Hanna and Tucker were Sam Jefferson with 14 and Schlager with 10. Steven Daley pulled in a team-high seven rebounds and Alex Dorion led the Mules with five assists.
- Wesleyan shot 50.9-percent (28-55) from the floor and outrebounded Colby 36-29 while outscoring the Mules 38-14 in the paint.
- Wesleyan wraps up its regular-season play tomorrow, Feb. 10 on the road against Bowdoin. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.