DUDLEY, Mass. – Austin Hutcherson dropped 21 points but the Wesleyan University men's basketball team dropped a difficult non-conference matchup on the road Tuesday night to Nichols College, 85-66.
The loss is the first for the Cardinals as they drop to 2-1 overall. The Bison improve to 3-0.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Nichols came out strong and scored the first six points of the game.
- A 3-pointer by Jack Alberding at the 10:35 mark cut the deficit to two, but back-to-back treys followed by a jumper by DeAnte Bruton put the Bison on top 22-12.
- Both teams exchanged baskets for the remainder of the half until a dunk by Jerome Cunningham with 42 seconds remaining gave Nichols a 39-26 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Bison went on an 8-1 run to start the second half as a 3-pointer by Marcos Echevarria increased their lead to 20.
- Wesleyan responded with an 8-0 run capped off by a steal and fast break dunk by Hutcherson to cut the deficit to 12 with 15:20 to play, however, it proved to be the closest Wesleyan would get the rest of the way.
- Nichols continued to increase its lead down the stretch en route to the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hutcherson finished with 21 points, four rebounds, three steals and two blocks. He was joined in double-figures by Jordan Bonner who dropped 14 on 7-of-9 shooting, while also dishing out a team-high four assists. JR Bascom led the squad with seven rebounds and added eight points.
- Nichols was led by Bruton who scored a game-high 23 points on 5-of-7 shooting from behind-the-arc. Echevarria added 19 points and six boards, and Kash Jackson scored 11. Matt Morrow grabbed eight rebounds and Cunningham totaled seven.
- Wesleyan looks to rebound with another difficult non-conference game this Sunday, Nov. 25 at home against Eastern Connecticut State. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m.