WALTHAM, Mass. – Jordan Bonner recorded a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds to help lead the Wesleyan University men's basketball team to a 78-67 win on the road Saturday against Brandeis University.
Bonner was 4-of-7 from downtown and 8-of-8 from the charity stripe. He was joined in double-figures by Austin Hutcherson and Antone Walker with 17 points each as the Cardinals improve to 5-3 on the year. Chandler Jones led Brandeis with 18 points as the Judges dropped to 6-2 overall.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan did not trail in the first half as the Cardinals established a 38-34 halftime lead.
- The visitors were ahead by as many as 12 points after a JR Bascom free throw at the 11:36 mark made it 23-11.
- Brandeis answered with the next eight points to close within 23-19. The lead bounced between one and five points before a late Walker put-back gave Wesleyan the four-point edge at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Brandeis stayed within close range in the early stages of the second half and eventually claimed a 49-47 lead on a Chandler Jones 3-pointer from the elbow at the 10:35 mark.
- Jordan James tied it up but Brandeis grad student Latye Workman made it a 51-49 lead for the Judges.
- Walker responded with a 3-pointer of his own at the 8:47 mark to give the Cardinals a 52-51 lead they would not relinquish. He scored his team's next four points from the free throw line, while a Kevin McDonald trifecta made it 59-53 for Wesleyan with 6:51 to play.
- Brandeis answered with a four-point possession from Workman, who hit one-of-two from the line, then converted a traditional three-point play after Jones corralled the rebound on the missed foul shot.
- Trailing 59-57, Brandeis got a stop, but couldn't convert, and Bonner made them pay with a 3-pointer at the 5:04 mark that made it a two-possession game.
- From there, Wesleyan made 13-of-14 free throws, with a Bonner 3-pointer mixed in, as the visitors held on the for the 78-67 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In addition to his 17 points, Hutcherson grabbed five boards and dished out five assists. Bascom scored seven points and grabbed nine rebounds.
- Collin Sawyer and Workman joined Jones in double-figures with 15 and 12 points, respectively. Workman and Jones both led the team in rebounds with six, while Jones and Lawrence Sabird dished out five assists a piece.
- The Cardinals held a commanding 42-23 edge in rebounding and shot an incredible 91.7% from the free throw line as they went 22-of-24.
- Wesleyan is off next week but returns to action on Tuesday, Dec. 18 as it heads to Miami, Fla. for two games in two days. On Tuesday, they face Penn State-Harrisburg at 2 pm and the following day they play No. 10 Plattsburg State at 4 p.m.
* Parts of recap courtesy of Brandeis Sports Information