MIAMI SHORES, Fla. – The Wesleyan University men's basketball team used a big second half run to defeat nationally-ranked No. 13 Plattsburgh State on Wednesday evening in the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout, 84-73.
The Cardinals, led by Austin Hutcherson's 21 points, went 2-0 at the Miami tournament as they improve to 7-3 overall. Plattsburgh was led by Jonathan Patron's 19 points as they fell to 8-2 on the year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Knotted up at 8-8, a layup by Jonathan Patron followed by a 3-pointer from Brandon Johnson gave Plattsburgh a five-point lead.
- Wesleyan responded nicely, however, and a 3-pointer by Antone Walker capped off a 13-2 run as the Cardinals went up 21-15 at the 11:20 mark.
- With 5:44 to play, Austin Hutcherson hit a jumper to give Wesleyan a 31-23 lead following a 5-0 run.
- Plattsburgh rallied with a run of its own and scored eight unanswered points as back-to-back jumpers by Patron tied the game at 31-31 with 3:59 to play.
- Both teams continued to exchange baskets down the stretch and with 36 seconds remaining, Hutcherson found Jordan James on a fast break to give Wesleyan a 39-38 lead at the break.
- Walker was terrific in the first 20 minutes of play as he dropped 14 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan opened the second half on an impressive 25-8 run as consecutive steals by Walker and Hutcherson led to fast break layups as the Cardinals took an 18-point lead with 11:28 to play (64-46).
- Plattsburgh didn't back down, however, as it responded with three consecutive 3-pointers to get within nine at the 8:51 mark, 64-55.
- The Cardinals continued to cut the deficit and with 2:03 remaining, a pair of free throws by Isaiah Hill got Plattsburgh within four, 74-70.
- Seconds later, Hutcherson drove to the basket for an impressive layup, then intercepted a Plattsburgh pass and finished with a fast break dunk to give Wesleyan a 78-70 lead with 1:16 on the clock.
- The sophomore guard then sealed the win at the line as he went 4-for-4, while Shackylle Dezonie went 2-for-2.
- Wesleyan returns to action after the holidays and will host Manhattanville at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.