MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's basketball team held on to defeat Clark in the championship game of the Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament sponsored by Red Lion Hotel Cromwell on Saturday, 75-65. Jordan James was named the Tournament MVP as he dropped 18 points, grabbed nine rebounds, blocked three shots, and dished out two assists.
James was joined on the All-Tournament Team by Antone Walker who scored 18 points as the Cardinals improved to 2-0 on the season. The Cougars were led by Tyler Davern who finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds, however, they dropped to 1-3 on the year.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan opened the game with a 5-0 run and held a lead for the majority of the half.
- Clark hit three consecutive three-pointers from the 2:56 mark to 1:46 to go-ahead for the first time in the game, 32-31. Davern hit the first one while Anthony Grzembski hit back-to-back treys.
- However, Wesleyan answered on their next possession as Gabe Ravetz hit one from deep to put the home team back on top.
- Davern hit another try with only 10 seconds remaining as the Cougars trailed 36-35 at the break.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- At the 17:11 mark, Walker hit one from behind-the-arc to give Wesleyan a nine-point lead.
- The Cougars went on a 16-3 run as Davern capped it off with a layup at the 10:24 mark to give the visitors a 55-51 advantage.
- However, on Wesleyan's next possession, James was fouled on a made layup. He missed the foul shot but Preston Maccoux got the rebound, and Ravetz later hit a trey to complete a five-point play with 9:37 remaining as the Cardinals went back on top.
- From that point on, Wesleyan led the entire way.
- With 2:27 remaining, Joel Arteaga cut the deficit to two with a 3-pointer but it was the closest Clark would get the rest of the game.
- In the final minute, Maccoux dished it down low to James who converted a layup right before the shot clock expired, extending the lead to seven with 34 seconds remaining, essentially sealing the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan held a commanding 46-32 edge in rebounding and outscored the Cougars 28-14 in the paint.
- Three players scored in double-figures for the Cardinals as Sam Peek joined James and Walker with 15 points. He also grabbed seven rebounds while Walker grabbed five and dished out a game-high five assists. Ravetz scored nine points off the bench and Maccoux finished with five and eight boards.
- Davern was joined in double-figures by Biko Gayman and Antonio Lapeyrolerie with 13 and 10 points, respectively. Gayman also dished out four assists and recorded two steals.
- Jordan James (Wesleyan); Tournament MVP
- Antone Walker (Wesleyan)
- Tyler Davern (Clark)
- Biko Gayman (Clark)
- Stuart Phair (Sage)
- Shyquinn Dix (Maine-Presque Isle)
- The Cardinals are back in action on Tuesday, November 19 and will play on the road against Purchase State. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.