HARTFORD, Conn. – The Wesleyan men's 'A' crew opened the 2019-20 season strong as it finished first overall in the Open 8+ at the Riverfront Regatta Sunday morning. The Cardinals took first in the 14-boat field with a time of 14:13.69, finishing nine seconds ahead of the second-place boat from Trinity.
"This was a great start to the new year," said Head Coach Phil Carney. "With a lot of strong returners in the crews, the team handled the racing in a mature and professional manner. Terrific conditions were helpful, and this proved to a successful start to the 2019-20 campaign. Our team leadership – seniors, captains, and coxswains – have set the bar high and lead by example, leading to today's performances. We are excited for a big deep field of crews as we head to Boston in two weeks for the Head of the Charles!"
- In addition to the first-place finish, Wesleyan's 'B' boat finished sixth overall in 15:03.51 and the 'C' crew crossed the finish line in 17:58.42.
- The field featured boats from Trinity and Tufts, as well as Division I programs UConn and the University of Rhode Island.
- Wesleyan 'A' crew; Daniel Helfman (cox); Hayden Galusza (stroke), Will Humphrey, Emmett Nunes, Oliver Diamond, Dominik Sobieszek, Joseph Kagan, Luke Forsthoefel, Jimmy McShane (bow)
- Wesleyan 'B' crew; Bryce Voges (cox), Ethan Ching (stroke), Teddy Kennedy, Andrew Daggon, Kenny McKee-Proctor, Tucker Resor, Oliver Saffery, Drew Myers, Andrew Martin (bow)
- Wesleyan 'C' crew; Marie Sanford (cox), Shakeel Jessa (stroke), Jackson Heins, Benjamin Spencer, Gunter Haug-Pavlak, Finn Brown, Matt Kim, Marcus Valenta, Hudson Dore (bow)
- Wesleyan is off next weekend and will return to competition on Saturday, Oct. 19 for the two-day Head of the Charles in Cambridge, Mass.