The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team will begin its 2016-17 campaign this weekend beginning Friday, November 18th on the road against Connecticut College at 7 p.m., followed by a 3 p.m. contest against Tufts on Saturday.
Head Coach Chris Potter, who is entering his 14th season at the helm, is looking to guide the Cardinals to their first NESCAC Tournament appearance since the 2013-14 season.
Wesleyan's slate features 24 games this season – 18 NESCAC matchups and six out-of-conference games. Three opponents are currently ranked in the top-15 of the USCHO and D3hockey.com rankings – No. 11/7 Trinity, No. 13/12 and No. 8/10 Plattsburgh State.
MEET THE TEAM:
- Wesleyan returns 20 players from last year's squad which is comprised of six seniors, five juniors and nine sophomores. Potter also welcomes seven freshmen to this year's team.
- James Kline '17 and Rob Harbison '17 were named team captains. Kline, the team's leader in goals (12) and points (17) a year ago, looks to guide the offense once again in 2016-17. Harbison, along with classmate Cole Morrissette, should lead the Wesleyan blue-line and fill the void left by 2015-16 team captain Eric Casey '16, who graduated in the spring.
- In net, Dawson Sprigings '17 returns and will look to improve on his junior campaign in which he started 20 games and saved 89.3% of the shots he faced.
- Jordan Jancze '18, who led the team in assists last season with seven, totaled 11 points on the season along with Andy Espinoza '19. Both will look to be key contributors to the offense, which lost its second and third highest goal scorers in Jay Matthews '16 (8 goals) and Jaren Taenaka '16 (6 goals).
- The freshmen class consists of Spencer Fox, Walker Harris, Matt Horton, Matt Huston, Tyler Kobryn, Hunter Vannier and Tyler Wyatt. The Cardinals also added transfer goaltender George Blinick.