Score: Williams 4, Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (7-4-0, 3-3-0 NESCAC), Williams (5-4-2, 4-2-2 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Saturday, January 7th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team fell to Little Three rival Williams College, 4-1 on Saturday afternoon at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Early in the first, C.J. Shugart got past the Cardinals' defense and had a break away opportunity, but George Blinick '19 made an excellent save to keep the game scoreless.
- The Ephs would get get one past Blinick a few minutes later as Wyatt Glover scored his first goal of the season and gave the visitors the 1-0 advantage. His goal was assisted by Frankie Mork and Alex Hagerty.
- Up two men, Williams would take advantage as David Italiano tipped the puck past Blinick for the two goal lead at 17:18. His fifth goal of the year was assisted by Sam Gray and Shugart.
- Wesleyan would respond just under a minute later as Mike Yablong '19 sent a pass to Tyler Wyatt '20 who put the puck through the pads of Ephs goaltender Stephen Morrissey. The goal at 18:16 in the first period was Wyatt's first on the season.
- In the second period, Vincent Lima '19 would provide the home team with a chance for goal number two, but his shot rang off the pipe.
- Williams would increase their lead back to two as Shugart scored his seventh goal of the season at 7:24. Keanu Hilaire and Max Fuld were credited with assists on the score.
- In the third period Jordan Jancze '18, Wyatt and Theo Tydingco '18 would all have excellent scoring chances in a flurry of shots on Morrissey, but the junior net minder was able to weather the storm and keep the score 3-1 in favor of the Ephs.
- Shugart would seal the victory for the Ephs with his empty net goal at 18:53. His second goal of the game was assisted by James McNamara and Fuld, and would send the visitors home with the 4-1 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Blinick suffered his first loss on the season as he made 23 saves between the pipes.
- Morrissey notched his first win for Williams as he made 15 saves in the game.
- Shugart finished the game with three points for the Ephs.
- Williams outshot Wesleyan by a 27-16 margin.
- The Cardinals return to the ice on Friday, January 13th as they will travel to Brunswick, Maine to take on the Bowdoin Polar Bears. Face-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- The Ephs are back in action on Tuesday, January 10th as they will host Brockport for a 5 p.m. matchup.