Score: Trinity 7, Wesleyan 2
Records: Wesleyan (12-7-4, 7-6-4 NESCAC), No. 12/14 Trinity (14-6-3, 10-5-2 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Friday, February 17th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team fell to No. 12/14 Trinity College 7-2 on Friday night at Spurrier-Snyder Rink, however, the Cardinals won their first Little Three title since the 1986-87 season as Amherst defeated Williams, 1-0 earlier in the evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bantams got on the board first as Ryan Cole found Anthony Sabitsky in front for the goal at 14:06.
- The visitors would break out in the second period as they scored four goals in the first ten minutes of the frame.
- Sean Orlando would net two goals in the period. His first goal at 1:06 was assisted by Ethan Holdaway and Tyler Whitney, while his second goal at 3:43 was unassisted.
- Connor Hegarty would put a shot over the blocker of Dawson Sprigings '17 at 6:47 to give Trinity a 4-0 lead. Hegarty's third goal of the season was assisted by Cole and Sabitsky.
- The Bantams would gain a 5-0 advantage as Andy Chugg would net a goal off a rebound at 7:30. Barclay Gammill would earn an assist on the goal which was Chugg's first on the year.
- Tyler Kobryn '20 would have an excellent scoring change for the Cardinals, but his shot was stopped by the glove of Alex Morin. Quincy Oujevolk '17 also had a good opportunity for a goal, but he was denied by the Trinity defense.
- The visitors would notch their sixth at 3:18 in the third as Will Sleeper found the back of the net off passes from Ryan Pfeffer and Griffyn Martin.
- Wesleyan would get on the board on a goal from Walker Harris '20 who got the puck past the pads of Morin at 14:42 in the third. Harris' ninth goal of the season was assisted by Chad Malinowski '19 and Dylan Holze '19.
- Cole would respond for Trinity, scoring at 18:34 off passes from Sabitsky and Brandon Cole.
- The Cardinals would score on the power play as Jordan Jancze '18 won the draw back to Oujevolk who fired a shot past Morin at 19:49.
- The Bantams would claim the 7-2 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sprigings and Daniel Weiss '17 made a combined 37 saves in net for the home team.
- Harris now has 21 points on the year, and his nine goals now leads the team. He is second in points to James Kline '17.
- Ryan Cole and Sabitsky each notched three points in the game for Trinity.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Prior to the game, Wesleyan honored the six members of its senior class: Rob Harbison, James Kline, Cole Morrissette, Quincy Oujevolk, Daniel Weiss and Dawson Sprigings.
- This is the Cardinal's third Little Three title in program history, as they went 2-1-1 against its rivals this season.
- The men's ice hockey team is the third Wesleyan program to win a Little Three championship this season, joining the football and men's basketball teams. This is the first time in the history of Wesleyan Athletics that all three teams have won the title in the same season.
- The two teams will wrap up their regular seasons tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity.