Score: Trinity 3, Wesleyan 0
Records: Wesleyan (12-8-4, 7-7-4 NESCAC), No. 12/14 Trinity (15-6-3, 11-5-2 NESCAC)
Location: Hartford, Conn. (Albert Creighton Williams '64 Rink)
Date: Saturday, February 18th
Time: 7:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's ice hockey team was shutout 3-0 by No. 12/14 Trinity College on the road on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bantams took an early 1-0 lead just 2:21 into the first period on a goal by Ryan Cole which was assisted by Sean Orlando and Brandon Cole.
- The home team would extend their lead to 2-0 as Will Sleeper got the puck past Cardinals' netminder George Blinick '19 at 13:53. The goal was assisted by Barclay Gammill and Connor Hegarty.
- Blinick made a great save on Ethan Holdaway in the second as Holdaway skated down and tried to go five-hole, but Blinick kept his pads together and the game stayed at 2-0 in favor of Trinity.
- Walker Harris '20 stole the puck while shorthanded and skated down with just a few seconds remaining in the period, but his shot would be saved by Alex Morin.
- The home team would make it 3-0 as Anthony Sabitsky scored a power play goal at 13:18 in the third. Ryan Cole and Tyler Whitney notched assists on the score.
- James Kline '17 had an excellent scoring opportunity, but his shot was saved by the glove of Morin.
- The Bantams would hold the Wesleyan offense at bay and go onto claim the 3-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The power play goal by Trinity snapped the Cardinals streak of 30 straight penalty kills.
- Blinick made 37 saves in the game.
- Ryan Cole registered two points in the game, which gives him 30 on the season. Orlando also has 30 points for Trinity.
- Morin made 40 saves in the game as he earned his third shutout and 13th win this season.
- The Cardinals earned the No. 7 seed in the NESCAC and will travel to Maine to take on No. 2 Colby in the quarterfinals on Saturday, February 25th at 3 p.m.
- The Bantams are the No. 3 seed and will host No. 6 Tufts in the quarterfinals on Feb. 25th at 1 p.m.