Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Stanton Scores Four Goals As Wesleyan Defeats Hamilton, 9-6

Photo by Matt Montanez '17
Photo by Matt Montanez '17

CLINTON, N.Y. – Harry Stanton '18 scored four goals as the Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team defeated NESCAC rival Hamilton College on the road Saturday afternoon, 9-6.

Wesleyan: 2-1, 1-1 NESCAC
Hamilton: 2-1, 1-1 NESCAC


  • The Cardinals outscored Hamilton 5-1 in the second quarter en route to a 6-3 halftime lead, while the second half ended in a 3-3 tie.
  • Wesleyan outshot Hamilton, 39-37, and held a commanding 40-28 lead in ground balls. The Continentals, however, won 14-of-20 face offs.
  • Stanton had an impressive showing Saturday as he tallied four goals and four ground balls. Niall Devaney '16 and Taylor Ghesquiere '18 added two more goals each, while Christian Barker '19 tacked on another Wesleyan score. Greg Pietroforte '16 led all players with seven ground balls, and Andres Rodriguez '18 and Quinn Mendelson '17 caused two turnovers each. Ted Bergman '18 made 15 saves in net for the Cardinals.
  • Hamilton was led by Sam Sweet and J.D. Brachman. Sweet scored two goals and registered four ground balls, and Brachman added two goals and an assist. Pat Donahoe and Jarett Greben each added a score, while Eric Zurmuehle tallied a team-high six ground balls.


  • Hamilton scored early, and took a 2-0 lead at the 7:13 mark. However, Quentin DellaFera '16 connected with Barker in the closing seconds to cut the deficit to one after the first.
  • Stanton evened the score at 2-2 just 27 seconds into the second frame, and Ghesquiere gave Wesleyan its first lead of the game just over a minute later.
  • Ghesquiere then found Devaney at the 7:51 mark, and added another Wesleyan goal a minute later as the Cardinals pulled ahead, 5-2.
  • With 2:21 remaining in the first half, Sweet snapped the visitor's five-goal run. However, Stanton added another score with just :20 on the clock as Wesleyan took at 6-3 lead at the break.


  • The Cardinals took a four-goal lead - it's largest of the game - at the 8:01 mark of the third quarter as Devaney scored an unassisted goal.
  • Brachman cut the deficit to three shortly after, before Barker found Stanton at the 1:56 mark to give Wesleyan an 8-4 lead heading into the fourth and final quarter.
  • Hamilton took advantage of two man-up opportunities in the fourth quarter to get within two with just 4:12 to play, but it wasn't enough as Stanton would tally an insurance goal in the closing minutes to give the visitor's the 9-6 win.


  • Wesleyan returns to the field Tuesday, March 15 and will remain on the road to face non-conference foe Vassar at 2 p.m.
  • The Continentals are back in action Tuesday as well, and will head to Florida for a non-conference neutral site game against Keene State. The game is scheduled to start at 5 p.m.