Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wesleyan Cruises to 16-6 Non-Conference Win Over Clark

Photo by Jonas Powell '18
Photo by Jonas Powell '18

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Niall Devaney '16, Taylor Ghesquiere '18 and Harry Stanton '18 combined for 11 goals as the Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team cruised to a 16-6 non-conference win over Clark University Tuesday night under the lights at Citrin Field.

Wesleyan: 4-2, 1-2 NESCAC
Clark: 6-1, 0-0 NEWMAC


  • The Cardinals held a 7-3 halftime lead, and outscored the visitor's 9-3 in the final 30 minutes of action en route to the decisive victory as they handed the Cougars their first loss of the year.
  • Wesleyan held a commanding 33-13 lead in groundballs, a 51-24 advantage in shots, and controlled the face offs by winning 21-of-26. The Cardinals also went an impressive 3-of-5 on man-up opportunities.
  • Devaney led all players with four goals, while Ghesquiere and Stanton scored three apiece. Devaney and Ghesquiere added an assist each, while Quentin DellaFera '16 and Christian Barker '19 tallied two. Barker also had two goals. Jason Gibson '17 recorded an impressive 10 ground balls to lead all players, and Ted Bergman '17 made seven saves between the pipes in 45:00 minutes of action. Stephen Kovalsky '18 and Evan Isaacs '17 saw playing time in goal as well, and combined for two saves.
  • The Cougars were led by Nick Johnson, who scored three of the team's six goals. Andrew Myhre, Brandon King and Rob Holden tallied the other three, while Johnson and Drew Riopelle-Tyrrell recorded three ground balls each. Riopelle-Tyrrell made 11 saves in net for Clark.


  • Myhre put the visitor's on the board first at the 12:01 mark of the first quarter before an unassisted marker by Ghesquiere knotted the game at 1-1 just 22 seconds later.
  • Stanton found Mitchell for the Cardinals' go-ahead goal shortly after, and Gibson won the ensuing faceoff before dishing it off to Stanton for another Wesleyan goal just 12 seconds apart.
  • With 2:19 to play in the first quarter, Holden scored a Clark man-up goal to get within one, but it was the closest the visitor's would get the rest of the way.
  • The second frame was all Wesleyan as the Cardinals outscored the Cougars, 4-1, with back-to-back goals from Ghesquiere including one at the :16 mark to put the home team ahead at the half, 7-3.


  • Wesleyan's momentum from the second quarter carried over into the third as the Cardinals continued to increase their lead.
  • Devaney recorded a man-up goal at the 13:33 mark of the second half to get things going.
  • Shortly after, the Cardinals scored three goals in less than two minutes before an unassisted marker by Johnson snapped a 6-0 Wesleyan run.
  • In the closing minutes of the third, Barker put Wesleyan ahead 12-4 as they entered the fourth quarter.
  • In the final 15 minutes of play, Wesleyan outscored Clark 4-2 en route to the 10-goal victory.


  • The Cardinals are back at home Saturday, March 26 for another non-conference matchup. They will host SUNY Oneonta beginning at 5 p.m.
  • Clark returns to the field Wednesday, March 30 for a home contest against Plymouth State at 7 p.m.