Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Cardinals Cruise to Decisive 16-6 Win Over SUNY Oneonta

Photo by Matt Montanez '17
Photo by Matt Montanez '17

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – For the third time in five games, Harry Stanton '18 scored four goals as he helped guide Wesleyan University to a decisive 16-6 win over non-conference foe SUNY Oneonta Saturday night at Citrin Field.

Wesleyan: 5-2, 1-2 NESCAC
SUNY Oneonta: 3-3, 0-0 SUNYAC


  • Wesleyan led the whole game and held a 9-2 advantage at halftime, while outscoring the Red Dragons 7-4 in the second half en route to the 10-goal victory.
  • In addition to his four goals, Stanton also dished out three assists to lead all players. Carter Hawthorne '19 recorded three goals, while seniors Niall Devaney and Quentin DellaFera each recorded two. DellaFera also registered two assists. Ben Shively '18 recorded game-highs of six ground balls and two caused turnovers. Ted Bergman '18 continues to have an impressive season in net and stopped 11 shots in 49:57 minutes of action, while Stephen Kovalsky '18 made two saves in 10:03.
  • SUNY Oneonta was led by Nathan Doody who tallied three goals, while Nick Schuman, Connor Coyle and Alec Solomito each tacked on one. Coyle also had a team-high two assists, while Wesley Banks led the Red Dragons with five ground balls.
  • Wesleyan held a commanding 54-34 advantage in shots, claimed a 36-23 edge in ground balls, and went a perfect 19-for-19 on clear attempts. The Red Dragons won 15-of-26 face offs.


  • The Cardinals took an early 2-0 lead off back-to-back goals by Taylor Ghesquiere '18 and Greg Pietroforte '16 within one minute of each other at the 13:41 and 12:41 marks, respectively.
  • However, SUNY Oneonta responded with two goals of their own and evened the score with 6:59 remaining in the first quarter.
  • Despite the momentum briefly going in the Dragons favor, Wesleyan rallied with a 7-0 run to close out the half.
  • The stretch began when Stanton scored just 28 seconds after SUNY Oneonta's game-tying score.
  • DellaFera made a few nifty moves behind goal and dished it off to Hawthorne in front of the net to put the home team ahead by two with 5:24 to play in the first quarter.
  • Just under two minutes later, Stanton ducked and dodged his defender, spun around and sent one from the left of the goal to just inside the right of the post, past goalkeeper Ryan Adler.
  • Wesleyan scored five unanswered goals in the first quarter to take a 7-2 lead after one.
  • The Cardinals increased their lead to seven and held the visitor's scoreless in the second quarter as Stanton and DellaFera scored at the 12:22 and 10:29 marks, respectively, en route to a 9-2 halftime lead.


  • The second half featured a more even contest, but the deficit was too large for the Red Dragons to overcome.
  • Solomito scored first to get SUNY Oneonta within six with 11:13 to play in the third, but it proved to be the closest the visitor's would get the rest of the way.
  • Wesleyan closed out the third quarter with three straight goals to take a 13-4 lead into the fourth.
  • The Cardinals led by as much as 11 as they scored twice early in the fourth to cap off a 5-0 run.
  • After back-to-back goals by SUNY Oneonta cut the deficit to single digits, 15-6, Cole Turpin '18 scored one last goal for Wesleyan off an assist from Tasso Karras '18 to give the Cardinals the 16-6 win.


  • Wesleyan returns to the field Saturday, April 2 and will play at Colby. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
  • SUNY Oneonta is back in action Wednesday, March 30 and will host Hartwick College at 3 p.m.