Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

DellaFera, Hawthorne Help Lead Cardinals Past Colby, 15-8

Photo by Jonas Powell '18
Photo by Jonas Powell '18

WATERVILLE, Maine. – Quentin DellaFera '16 totaled seven points and Carter Hawthorne '19 recorded six, including five goals, to help lead the Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team to a commanding 15-8 win on the road Saturday against NESCAC opponent, Colby College.

Wesleyan: 6-2, 2-2 NESCAC
Colby: 2-7, 0-5 NESCAC


  • The Cardinals trailed 4-3 after the first quarter, but outscored the Mules 12-4 in the final 45 minutes en route to their third straight win.
  • DellaFera dished out a season-high four assists and scored three goals, while Hawthorne enjoyed the best game of his young collegiate career by leading all players with five goals. In addition, sophomores Taylor Ghesquiere and Harry Stanton continue to shine as they each tallied three goals. Ghesquiere also recorded an assist, while Niall Devaney '16 scored a goal and dished out two assists. Christian Barker '19 added two assists as well, while Ted Bergman '17 made nine saves in net and Quinn Mendelson '17 caused six turnovers.
  • Colby was led by Colton Michel and Kevin Seiler with three goals each. Michel also recorded two assists for a team-high five points, while Sam Wasserman and Cillian Connor tallied a goal apiece. Goalkeeper Dylan Rothenberg made 10 stops.
  • Wesleyan won 18-of-26 face offs and outshot Colby, 45-36. The Cardinals also claimed a 33-23 lead in ground balls and went 2-for-4 on man-up opportunities.


  • Colby came out hot to start the game and took a 2-0 lead within the first 2:22 of play.
  • A goal by Ghesquiere at the 11:34 mark cut the deficit to one, but the Mules answered with another goal just under three minutes later when Seiler found the back of the net.
  • Stanton got Wesleyan within one with 4:10 remaining in the first quarter, and just 17 seconds later, DellaFera evened the score with an unassisted marker.
  • Colby, however, would score the final goal of the quarter as Michel connected with Connor at the 2:24 mark to give the home team a 4-3 lead after one.
  • It was all Wesleyan in the second quarter as the Cardinals defense held the Mules scoreless.
  • DellaFera knotted the game at 4-4 at the 13:52 mark.
  • Stanton scored back-to-back goals at the 5:49 and 4:30 marks, before Hawthorne added an insurance goal in the closing seconds (:29) to give Wesleyan a 7-4 halftime lead.


  • Colby got within two, 7-5, at the 11:06 mark of the third before back-to-back Wesleyan goals from Hawthorne lifted the visitor's lead to four.
  • Michel cut the deficit to 9-6 in the closing minutes of the third quarter.
  • Wesleyan pulled away in the fourth.
  • After both teams exchanged scores early, the Cardinals rallied with five unanswered goals in less than six minutes to put the game away.
  • Seiler scored with just 1:15 remaining to cut the deficit to seven as Wesleyan won, 15-8.


  • The Cardinals return to the field Wednesday, April 6 and will host Little Three rival and No. 4 Amherst at 7 p.m.
  • Colby is back in action Tuesday, April 5 and will play at Marine Maritime. The first face off is scheduled for 4 p.m.