Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Explodes for 7 Goals for the First Time in 9 Years in Downing John Jay, 7-1, But NESCAC Opener Goes to Bowdoin in 2OT

Photo by Peter Stein '84
Photo by Peter Stein '84

Reaching the seven-goal plateau for the first time since Oct. 17, 2006, Wesleyan generated a 36-7 margin in total shots and a 17-3 edge in shot on net on its way to a 7-1 victory in a first-ever meeting with John Jay Tues., Sept.15.  Leading the way for the Cardinals with two goals and an assist, raising his team-leading totals to three goals and two assists for eight points this year, was Chris Kafina '16.  Dylan Hoy '17 added a goal and an assist in the Cardinal cause while Max Jones '16 was good for two assists as the three Cardinals with multiple scoring notes in the game.

Wesleyan jumped out to a 2-0 lead just seven minutes into the contest as Kafina and Charlie Gruner '17 connected for the Cardinals. The lead reached 4-0 before the game was 22 minutes old on tallies from Nick Hawkins '19 and Kafina's second of the evening.  The halftime score favored Wesleyan 5-0 as Hoy finished off the first-half scoring with a 30-yard direct kick that deflected off a defender halfway in flight and found the right side of the net with nine minutes to go in the period.

George Avrassaglou '19 put home a penalty kick in the 62nd minute after being tripped in the box, beating the Bloodhoud keeper, who finished the game with 10 saves, to his right for a 6-0 Wesleyan bulge.  

John Jay averted the shutout in the 66th minute when its top scorer was set up with a good lead pass, carried into the top of the box and put home a shot past Brian Harnett '18, Wesleyan's second netminder in the game.  Both starting goalie Jack Katkavich '17 and the final goalie, junior Eric Jasinski '17, posted a save during their time in the net, Katkavich for the entire first half, and Jasinski for the final 21 minutes.

Wesleyan's last goal came from Ben Hicks '18 off a perfect pass from Hoy on a sharp 25-yard free kick.  Hicks redirected the boot into the net with a header from 10 yard out.  Wesleyan had its last seven-goal outpouring nine year ago vs. Western Conn. in a 7-0 victory.

Wesleyan played its next game Sat., Sept. 19 at Bowdoin to begin NESCAC action. Kafina came through with some more magic as his header in the 80th minute tied the score at 1-1 after the Polar Bears had gotten on the board in the 38th minute.  Sousa set up Kafina with a corner kick.  But a free kick just outside the box after a Wesleyan foul created what proved to be the game-winning goal for Bowdoin with 4:44 left in the second extra period.  The free kick skipped through traffic in fron of the Cardinal goal to an open Polar Bear who directed the ball past Katkavich, who had four saves in the contest.  Shots were even at 16-16, with Wesleyan putting eight on cage to six by Bowdoin.  Corner kicks went Wesleyan's way, 5-3.

Wesleyan faces non-conference rival Western New England Wed., Sept. 23 in its next encounter with both a webcast andLiveStats planned.